The purpose of quarantine

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by leorina1990, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leorina1990

leorina1990 Registered Member

I would like to ask,what is the purpose of quarantine? The virus has been quarantine,can it be delete? Only option I have is 'Delete from quarantine'.If I delete from the quarantine,does it mean the virus still inside on my computer?It just remove from the quarantine but not from the computer.How to PERMANENTLY delete virus/trojan from the computer COMPLETELY.Please enlighten me about quarantine and what it does?So,should I just left my virus/trojan inside quarantine or should Delete it?By the way,I am new to this ESET product,my previous product I been using Symantec antivirus.So,I would like to give it a try on ESET Nod 32.Your help is much appreciated.tq

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

When a file is quarantined, it is encrypted and stored in a folder so that it is no longer a threat.

The reason for this is, if your antivirus caught a virus and it ended up being a false positive and went ahead and just deleted the file, there would be no way to recover it. Having it quarantined allows you to be able to restore the file in the event it was flagged as a threat when it really wasn't.

While the file is in quarantine, it is of no threat to your system. You can safely delete it from your system if you want and it will be gone.

How do delete file from quarantine

How to restore a file from quarantine

HTH

3. leorina1990

Ermm.I not really get your message but if i delete the file that is quarantined.That mean that virus 100% gone from the computer? And what do u mean 'if your antivirus caught a virus and it ended up being a false positive' ?

4. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

Yes, infected files that belong to virus are gone for good.

False positive is a false alarm, really. Sometimes antivirus software recognizes valid files as infected. In such case, you can restore those files from quarantine and use them again.

this is from NOD32 help (F1 button):

The quarantine folder is where infected or suspicious files are stored in a benign form. The resident protection module by default quarantines all newly created and modified suspicious files, but you can quarantine any file you wish. Quarantined files can be later restored to their original location, or to any location that you choose. Right click on any quarantined object in the Quarantine window to perform the following actions with the files: add, restore, restore to a new location, restore and exclude from detection, remove or submit for analysis to ESET’s laboratory.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  5. leorina1990

ohh ic,tq.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.