The problem with Gmail

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by NeonWizard, Jun 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonWizard

NeonWizard Registered Member

The Gmail advertising concept is simple. When you log into the Gmail to retrieve and view your e-mail, the service automatically scans the contents of the email and displays a relevant ad on the screen for you to see. Although it has been said that neither Google nor the advertiser "knows" the text or essence of the e-mail message, this is not strictly true: if you click on the link to the ad, it can be reasonably inferred that the text of the e-mail in some way related to the advertiser's service.

Moreover, like any e-mail provider, the text of your Gmail is stored and subject to subpoena. I can envision a situation where an advertiser, paying Google hundreds of thousands of dollars, claims that Google failed to "insert" its ads in relevant e-mails, or inserted a competitor's ads instead (or in addition to, or more prominently). In the course of the ensuing litigation, wouldn't both the ads themselves and the text of the messages into which they were inserted be relevant, and therefore discoverable? I can't imagine why not.

Read Article

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Why would anyone knowingly use such a service? o_O

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally don't like the idea of the G-Mail concept.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have a free Yahoo account as a spam trap. They raised storage from four megs to one hundred megs today. That's plenty!

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is what I use yahoo mail for also. All mail I don't want in my pop3 I have come there. It works just fine.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

What, exactly, were dear old Google thinking of when they thought up this idea?....Did they honestly underestimated the intelligence of the bog standard user.......did they realise that technology and Privacy and Security has moved on a little.....and that the common or garden user isn't that naive anymore.......really a bit of an insult on the part of Google don't you think?..

Cochise, :D

7. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Never underestimate the ability of large, out-of-touch companies to misread their customers' desires. Coca Cola once thought it would be cool to monkey with the formula for Coke. Practically got their hair set afire for that one.

Your implication is correct, Cochise. Customers resent condescension & trickery. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.