The Problem With a New Build Is...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bulldog356, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

I'm thinking about updating my copy of TI 10 Home to build 4940...but Acronis recommends a clean install (as do several posters to these forums), even though we're supposed to be able to update over an existing version.

A clean install means I have to re-create all my scheduled backup jobs. What a pain. For this reason I avoid new builds unless there's something really worthwhile inside.

So far, TI 10 is doing everything I ask of it flawlessly. Is there a compelling reason for me to update my build?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Well they say that in build 4940, the bug with backing up Outlook Express email has been fixed. If you don't need that then don't take the risk that there may be "new" bugs in 4940 that might affect you.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The most preparation I do before installing a new build or version is to stop the TI services and then remove using Add/Remove.
    All my achives are retained as are my schedules and settings.
    I think that a total clean install is only used where someone has intractable problems and is used as a last resort. There is of course the Paranoia syndrome which most of us suffer from time to time [​IMG]

Xpilot

4. Dinole

Dinole Registered Member

Hi,

yesterday I have updated TI10 from build 4871 to 4940.
    The installation works without any problems but, the requested shut down was interrupted, so I have to start my system again. The result was, all desktop icons were mixed, screen resolution was changed. Than, I deinstalled TI10, installed it again with build 4871. I will not use 4940 any more.

Regards

Michael

5. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Updated 4940 over 4871.

No glitches during the update, no glitches during operation.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can update right over 4871. There's no particular value in doing an uninstall/install going form 4871 to 4940. The interruption in shutdown note in the prior post is more likely a windows or hardware issue and not something specifically realted to ATI10.

7. bulldog356

The experience and advice in this forum is contradictory when addressing a clean install vs. straight upgrade of TI Home. And Acronis support has posted on several occasions that they do not recommend copying and restoring backup tasks.

My personal experience with updating TI 9 has been a crapshoot: Sometimes it worked, other times I got non-sensical error messages and ended up having to do a clean install anyway. Clean installs have always worked.

I'm happy with True Image so I'm sticking with it. I just wish Acronis could either perfect upgrading or offer a way to backup and restore scheduled tasks.

8. dheijl

dheijl Registered Member

same here.

Danny
    ---

9. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I recommend doing a clean install. When I recently tried updating over the previous version, many of the old program files were not replaced (i.e many of them were still dated Oct-2006), including the BartPE plugin files. An uninstall followed by a clean install took care of it.

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I uninstalled TI 10.4871 cleaned my registry with Ccleaner and Tuneup registry cleaner, installed TI 10.4940. No glitches during the installation, no glitches during operation.

11. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

With the intention of doing a clean install anyway, I installed 4940 over 4871, then went to "Help" and "About", it said Build 4871, so I scrubbed it all off and re-installed 4940. No problems with re-install or the new version, although I'm disappointed it still does the multiple verification on Backup Location folders.

12. shieber

There have been issues with some upgrades (9 to 10) and with some builds in version 9. But going from ATI10 4871 to ATI10 4940 seems to work without uninstalling and reinstalling, provided that the ATI10 4871 installation is not corrupted to begin with. I'd install 4940 over 4871 and then watch for any problem, one of the most telling ones would be if Managed Backup Locations did not observe limits -- a problem that occured in some cases when installing ATI10 over ATI9. But you're probalby not going to see any problem going from 4871 to 4940.

13. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Check the file dates in the C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome folder and all subfolders. If any files are dated older than 2/9/2007 then uninstall didn't remove all of your old files.

14. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi All,

I just did what I call an Overlay install of TI.Home.V10.4871 to TI.home.V10.4940 without a glitch. I didn;t have to do anything, other than the new upgrade, my previous info was still there, my scheduled back-up's still worked, nothing changed but the Version, hope that helps everyone!!

Steve

I also tested Back-up & recovery under the new version Everything worked under 4940 as it did under 4871, my PC is a Dell 8400 2 years old!!

15. bulldog356

Catfan:

You mean to say TI still 'verifies' the entire backup location every time?

Bummer. (I'm trying to be polite.)

16. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Bulldog356,

I can Verify that under TI10 4940 the ENTIRE back-up folder STILL gets Verified, as it did under 4871 (Big Waste!). Of course that is crazy, I keep 7 FULL copies (That also might be considered crazy LOL??) of a nightly FULL back-up's!

Steve

17. bulldog356

I also backup daily and keep the 7 most recent backups in a Backup Location, although now I'm seriously thinking about dumping Backup Locations in favor of the file-naming batch file that served me so well in TI 9.

18. CatFan432

Yes, as Steve also Verified. I also keep 7 full backups on my rotation, and I feel sorry for the poor guys having to Verify their worth over and over and over until they're finally laid to rest.

CatFan

19. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

There are some of us who never run validations.
    The secret is to use exchangable HDDs . Pull the current drive just after its latest image has been made, replace it with a previous HDD and restore.
    Not only can you keep several generations of images but you also have a perfect copy of the current HDD ready to run in case of a drive failure.

Xpilot

20. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

After a full Image backup, I validate each time but I press the backup image file I want to be validated which then appears in a window to the right of the structure tree... isn't that what you do? ...or attempt to do?

21. CatFan432

Well, that's what I do now when I want to verify an image. There is an option to automatically validate backups, if this is enabled, TI 10 will validate all the image files in the designated backup location folder, each time a new backup is created, not just the one newly minted. I would use the automatic feature if not for this.

22. shieber

Are those particular files any diff other than the date stamp from the installer?

23. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Some of the files might be identical. I honestly don't know. You would think that the installer program would know what it's doing, but somehow I don't have perfect faith in it.

I suppose I should have copied the old files to another folder and compared them to the new files via MD5 checksums, but I didn't think of doing that at the time. Oh, wait, I can pull them from one of my old images. OK, I will do that and report back.

24. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I used WinDiff to compare the files in my previous installation of Acronis TrueImage 10 Home (the previous release, that is) with this latest release:

IDENTICAL FILES:
    [in TrueImageHome\BartPE]:
    acronis.htm
    acronis.inf
    acronis_nu2menu.xml

[in TrueImageHome\BartPE\Files]:
    bootwiz.sys
    f11.cfg
    mouse.com

[in TrueImageHome\BartPE\Files\Drivers]:
    msvcp71.dll
    msvcr71.dll
    snapapi.dll
    snapman.sys

CHANGED FILES:
    [in TrueImageHome]:
    spawn.exe
    timounter.dll
    timountermonitor.exe
    tishell.dll
    tishell32.dll
    trueimage.exe
    trueimagemonitor.exe

[in TrueImageHome\BartPE\Files]:
    acrotls.dll
    bootmenu.exe
    fcalloc.dll
    fnls.dll
    fobject.dll
    ftrace.dll
    gc.dll
    icu34.dll
    icudt34.dll
    kernel.dat
    ramdisk.dat
    rpc_client.dll
    timounter.dll
    trueimage.exe

All new files are dated Feb 9, 2007 or higher.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  25. bulldog356

I want to thank everyone for participating in this lively discussion. I have decided to give build 4940 a bye, for two reasons:

1 - I only use TI to make full images of my system partition, on schedule and on demand, to my second internal HDD and my external HDD. The current build accomplishes this without problems. I really haven't tried out the many other features of TI 10, yet.

2 - The one item I was hoping to see fixed - that TI wouldn't verify the entire Backup Location when asked to verify a single image - has apparently not been fixed in 4940.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.