The price of AutoUpdate

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by memodude, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. memodude

memodude Registered Member

I know you have to pay for your web hosting, but the SpywareBlaster database is just a few 300 KB files. I think it is a little too expensive charging $10 for a year of AutoUpdates.

However, I have an idea. You should just get people to mirror the update files. For example, if you want, I'll make an empty sub-account on my Comcast account, enable Personal Web Pages, and give you the username and password so you can upload the database to it. Comcast PWP doesn't have a bandwidth limit, and you don't have to pay extra for it.

This would lessen the cost of your web hosting, and allow you to make AutoUpdate free, etc.

2. memodude

memodude Registered Member

BUMP

There are too many pinned topics, pushing even recent posts to the next page. :(

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

It isn't just bandwidth usage, it's simultaneous connections and a whole host of other factors.

Plus the fact that, as soon as the normal "new release" bugs are fixed, updates should be fairly frequent.

AutoUpdate helps pay for bandwidth usage, the update servers, and other related costs. You're helping to pay for your bandwidth usage, yes, but you are also helping us cover costs that everyone creates (whether they donate, purchase AutoUpdate, or not).

Check for Updates, built into SpywareBlaster, is free and will remain so. People who simply cannot afford to purchase AutoUpdate, or donate, can protect their machines for free and keep that protection updated for free. I simply ask that, if you can afford it, you help us keep it that way. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.