The Panda 2009 Line Is Out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mongol, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thanks, will take it out for a spin.
    I had some major issues with their beta ver 3 & 4. Hope its all solved.

3. vijayind

Looks like Panda has revamped its line for 2009.
    Plain-AV solution Panda Antivirus is gone o_O . Now we have Panda Antivirus Pro which like McAfee VirusScan Plus bundles AV & Firewall.
    Taking on those all-in-one (360 type) suites, Panda Global Protection throws in PC-Optimization to the AV suite. Includes Backup,Tune-up and online-storage. :cautious:

Could it be that Panda too, is headed towards bloatware city ?? :p

4. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

In the review made at by Mrizos at youtube it has performed very well.

5. vijayind

Yes, but it was beta version. And the real-time protection of Panda 2009 beta kept crashing on start-up and had to be started manually everytime.

So he hasn't rated panda as 5-stars. Even though it removed all threats ( when using internet for Cloud Computing a.k.a. Collective Intelligence ).

6. risl

risl Registered Member

Used to test Panda AV some time ago, few years actually. I just can't get myself interested to those "AIO"-bundles .. :thumbd:

7. Medank

Medank Registered Member

can anyone tell us little about the product when installed?
    how well is it on resourcess and how many ram does it use>?
    any screenshot or something :) ? anything.

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I tested Panda Pro 2009 for a few hours then removed it. It's a snazzy looking setup and it has a firewall and no web guard but it runs real heavy and really seemed to pull alot of ram when I browsed. It is a big download. The AV and Firewall was nearly 200 megs in my programs folder. There are pics of the 2009 suite in the AV screenshots thread. I'll stick with the lightness, speed and strength of Avira on my Desktop...:eek: :D

9. vijayind

Quite the opposite here, I am running Panda Internet Security 2009. It has HTTP scanning, if that's what you mean. See shot below:

Panda-AV.jpg

For me its running light. The incompatibility bugs I had raised with my BT drivers and some apps is solved. Runs quite light. See snap below:

Panda-Mem.jpg

Overall much better and improved product IMO in-comparison to Panda 2008.

10. guest

guest Guest

true.
    i like ver 2009, true prevent is very good

11. vijayind

Tried the Zemana Tests to check Panda's TruPrevent.
    Key Logger -- Fail
    Screen Logger -- Pass
    WebCam Logger -- Fail
    Clipboard Logger -- Fail

( Fail : The test was successful and Panda didn't prevent it).
    So TruPrevent is probably best to handle worms,trojan threats. No replacement for HIPS.

12. guest

guest Guest

panda's true prevent is not hips
    its hips with decision brain

its look like norton antibot, tf

if you wanna antikeylogger, you may use zemana

13. vijayind

Yes, thats true. Just wanted to see if TruPrevent 2.0 had any HIPS abilities. Since the original TruPrevent had none.

Better fireup, DW.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

To bad Panda doesn't allow you to have a free upgrade from 2008 to 2009.:thumbd:

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

nope they have to make sure they make the money off the 2 customers they have. they lose one there goes half there profits.

16. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

OK so I'm giving it another try and think I found what the resource hogger is. When I browse with Firefox it really seems to carry a load. Using Internet Explorer or Opera and things go much smoother. Overall this is a really nice setup. I'm testing Panda AV Pro 2009...:thumb:

17. vijayind

Panda TruPrevent moves in mysterious ways, my friend :blink:
    You never know how it will work. It may work now, but decide to go fowl later.

Note: I removed Panda IS 2009 and went back to Avira :p . It seems TruPrevent and DefenseWall don't mix. I enabled both, system went to a spin. Had to restore from earlier image.

18. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Agreed, that is IMO completely lame.

LOL...Maybe Mongol will be their 3'rd costumor?:D

Please let us know how things turn out with your trail, Mongol :thumb:

Cheers

19. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I always buy Panda, has nothing to do with detection or cleaning...just like the icon in the sys tray :p

20. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

It is a cute little Panda ain't it?. Hey I could be in line to be their 5th customer, that makes me eligible for a free upgrade next year. Honestly though its hard to give up the incredible lightness of being that is Avira Security Suite. This is a snazzy program though, hmmm...:eek: :D

21. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Wow thats a lot of processes.

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

They really want to make sure they make money but it has always been like that . I have used Panda 2004,2005 and 2006 and it was always like that - they never allowed for free upgrade to newer version . One always had to renew in order to get the new version - obviously this hasn't changed.

One more thing - as far as I have read , officially Panda has a lot clients (4th place after Symantec,McAfee,Trend) , much more than ESET , Kaspersky , AVIRA (more popular here)

Last but not least , I have seen Panda 2007 and 2008 on clients' machines - it was awfully slow and big . I don't know how 2009 could run light especially when Panda's site says that the new 2009 products require 200+ Mbs of hard disk space and at least 512 Mb RAM (1 Gb or more recommended) for full run - AV, AS , Firewall , TruPrevent , etc . The install exe is too big , either.

IMO , the problem with Panda is that it is too BIG , I don't know if there is some kind of communication between their developers and the marketing team. I wonder who would buy it when it is so heavy ?

23. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Yikes that sounds more like a requirement to run a OS like vista:blink:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  24. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Its called Pre Installed.... if the user only knew what was out there. they might smack the panda in the face.

Most people don't know there is different out here they just see the word Anti Virus and they expect it to protect them. most dont even know it slows down a system because it came pre installed on the computer in the first place. and they just blame the computer.

the list goes on and on as I'm sure you know

25. vijayind

Yes, but that normal these days. But the memory usage seems to be lower than previous versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.