The Next-Generation Browser: No URL Bar

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Been coming for quite a while.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Stupid idea :thumbd:

Might be alright for moblie phones/pads etc to gain more viewing area, but even then as mentioned, as far as visable security goes :thumbd:

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

i like it.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Worthwhile on my netbook, but not main computer.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I guess I'm ahead of the curve, because I removed my URL bar a long time ago. I do however have an extremely long search bar as a result. I did it because I don't like how Firefox forces Google on you, which I see as a microcosm of all that is wrong with the world today.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This post is not really helpful, is it?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How does Firefox force Google on you with its address bar?

9. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've been hearing of this lately. What's the advantage of no URL bar on a computer other than to save space? Do some people have no need for it? I use mine a lot, though I've reduced its size quite a bit. I can't imagine not having it or my search bar either one.

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

If they take a way the URL Bar how will we know if we typed the address right?:D

11. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

Wait ... wut? Heh. We've had that in KNOS for a while now. Move rodent to top of screen, use address bar, take rodent away, back to full screen. We like to call it "F11 key."
    Screenshot1.png

And rodent let's you fill the address bar:

Screenshot2.png

It's magic! :)

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Regarding Chromium/Chrome, when you open a new tab or press an existing one, you'll have the chance to type/copy and paste the URL address, and while it loads, the address bar is still present.

I've been using the compact navigation in Chromium since it was first introduced.

I don't see what's the problem with it, to be honest. :)

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Kevin McAleavey

Hi hows things ? looking up from what i see/read/hear = :) Bout time too :thumb:

Well i didn't know about F11 :p but i do now ;)

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I hate the idea. i agree with the article that hiding the url bar will make it easier for phising websites to trick users. domain hi lighting is a great feature why introduce it if you are then going to hide it?

I feel that the current versions of browsers default layout is minimalist enough.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What I'm still trying to figure out with the "minimalist movement", is do these ideas get brought to the table by people that think we're all using 10 inch screens or something? Sure, don't put a bunch of bars under the main one, and don't make gigantic freakin buttons (we have Linux distros for that), but otherwise, let it be. If you're worried about screen space for the mobile crowd, separate mobile and desktop browsers, and call it a day. The more they seem to "compact" crap, the less I seem to be able to find things. Drop-down menus are fine and dandy, but let's not go the old Opera route and get sent to menu Hell.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Phishing is easily avoidable though, so I don't really buy the security argument. Go right now to all of the websites you use that require you to enter personal info, copy each address, bring up Notepad, save them as a text file. When you need to go to them, break out the text file, copy the address, do your thing. No big deal. For websites that have been taken over, well, that's a different scenario and doing that won't help much.

18. m00nbl00d

:argh: You don't need all that... :p

Whether the user clicks a link or directly inputs it, the address bar will be visible. So, as you said, the security argument doesn't make any sense. If people don't look at the address bar while the web site loads, then it doesn't matter if it's visible all time... or when it only matters.

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Indeed, screens are quite high res these day's, why sacrifice the URL-bar for just 30 pixels?
    My monitor is has 1050 vertical pixels and notebook screens has 800, more than enough, I wouldn't want to exchange my URL bar for a few pixels.

Besides, for users that really want more pixels there is a really nice invention from YEARS ago called Full screen mode or F11 mode :isay:

20. jack90125

jack90125 Registered Member

I do not get it. every browser I have used since netscape has little arrows or tabs and by clicking you can get rid of the url bar the toolbar etc.
    also if you use firefox or some such you can get rid of the search bar and click on a setting in options if its not an address to do a search from the url bar on default search engine.
    again see no clue as to why this is since it has been done from the beginning.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I know that, you know that, most of us here know that. But as long as you have little sheep out there, and articles like those linked telling the little sheep what's better and how everything will change, and, as long as browser developers maintain a "me too" mentality, this nonsense will keep happening. One thing in one of the articles that made me truly laugh out loud, was the question of why Chrome has so many touch UI tweaks yet doesn't offer the damn thing on touch devices.

22. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

no idea what you're talking about

23. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

Well HEY there, stranger! :)

So far, not a lot of interest. Folks seem to think this is just another Linux something or other, it certainly isn't. But one has to use it to appreciate what it is, a complete computer on a DVD or USB stick with no muss, no fuss, no configuring, just go ... tried to offer this to COMODO while I was there, tried to get other security companies interested as well. Nope - blows out the entire need for their 1981 "technology" to protect a leaky operating system that could have been SO easily fixed by undoing IE4, poorly done "file associations" and all that came with it. So I get to surf instead of spending more time scanning and cleaning and system restoring. Works for me ... heh.

As to the F11 thing, that's what I found so amusing about the premise behind this thread. It's SO easy to add a mousetrap (or finger trap for touchies) whereby you can indeed go full screen and hide the bar, and just sit there waiting to intercept a move up to the top and fold it down when needed. And once you've used it, up it goes out of the way. So simple, so elegant, solves everything without taking away something people want. Like that F11 trick which has been there for ages that nobody ever seems to have discovered including browser authors and their legacy code. Even Netscape 4 and IE3 had "kiosk mode" if you knew where to look!

Spent most of my life in coding thinking of the user instead of the geeks, but such a thought process is punished in the programming industry. Making sense and simplicity for the end user is NOT the game. Damned Klingon coders. :(

24. m00nbl00d

It has disappeared from Chromium... :'(

They gave me a treat and then they took it away. :argh: It's like stealing a candy from a child. :blink:

25. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Opera has a neat favicon toolbar now. Occasionally some of the favicons disappear. No change there then with Opera reliability! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.