The new Windows98/95 DEFRAG utility?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Has anyone tried the new defrag utility on Wilders.org home? if so is it better? s there a possibility of it messing my computer up? (I just hate my slow slowness of Windows defrag, takes me 3 hours to defrag my computer :doubt: )

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

It's a LOT faster, and there's not a single risk of it messing up anything at all. :)

Just follow the steps in the ReadMe file.

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hoi Ton :D

I agree with Tony, I'm using it for quite some time (I don't remember me it exactly but it must have been for over more than a year ago that I installed it) on my W 98 SE box: no problems at all !!!

4. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Ok, I'll install it.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Comp01,

More in general:
    I close every program near the clock in the right bottom corner of your screen.
    Then I do Contrl-Alt-Del several times and shut down there every program except Explorer and Systray.
    Then I do a quick scan-disk, and then I do the defrag.
    Of course disable screensavers.
    BTW: I have disabled for example Find-Fast of Office/Word.

Others do the defrag in Safe-Mode.

If you have not done a defrag for quite some time, it might indeed take "some" time.
    I myself do it several times a week, but I install very frequently updates for a lot of programs.....

6. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

:D 'Works great for me...

- Written by Intel, just as the "old" Defrag was (this one is really the WinMe version), it also has new features not included in the original one they wrote. Specifically, if it finds that ScanDisk should be run before it can (due to some error present on the HD), it offers a link to start it immediately, instead of having to close it and then manually start ScanDisk - pretty slick, I thought.

- One thing I noticed, though; the instructions call for "renaming" the "old" Defrag, which I don't like to do - changing the "norm/standard"; so I didn't; it runs just fine in any directory you'd like to make for it (i.e.: Tools2).

- All in all, a great new tool for W98.

7. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Comp01!

Yes, I've been using that particular defrag program for over a year now. Paul suggested it to me when I whined about the ancient clunker taking over six hours to defrag just 7 gig! It did it in 45 minutes! Doing regular defrags every week, now it does 13 gig in 20 minutes. It does a darn fine job!

I did some research on the old clunker. The reason it is so slow is because it was first designed for Windows 3.1. Do you remember how big the HDs were back then? LOL.

I highly recommend the one at Wilders to anyone having defrag problems.

Thank you so much for this excellent utility!

Best regards from Larry :)

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

:D

Hey Larry,

I hope all is well with you !
    Always nice to see you !

Take care my friend,
    Cheers, Jan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.