The new RegSeeker, including x64, is out of beta!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

This was one of my all time favorite programs. Never had an issue as long as I only used it to "hunt" leftovers. Admittedly, when I started using Comodo time Machine I didn't use it as much. I've used it on four un-installations on x64 W7 since they beta-ed a x64 version without any problems.

2. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Seems well done but gives an exception error when trying to quit on my XP Pro machine.

3. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Folks be very careful!!

.zip Version with installer. Includes optional Babylon Toolbar Installation

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/remove-babylon-toolbar-home-page-and-search-engine

4. ratchet

The good thing is/was you actually have to select it (if you want it) as opposed to de-select it if you don't.

5. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Correct. It's an excellent (updated) utility which some say became a tad too aggressive in it's former life; now reported to be running nicely with no problems, even on Windows 8.

RegSeeker.png

6. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I really don't like these add-on's, however, this is one of the less objectionable ones, in that it at least does not hide it. If anyone gets Babylon Toolbar from installing RegSeeker, it is due to not paying attention while installing. Users should always be aware when installing anything, especially free apps. I guess they feel they need to make money some way...

7. ratchet

Keep in mind though that problems occurred when it was just used as a general reg cleaner as opposed to using it to search for something specific. e.g. you decide you don't want Acme File Cleaner any more. If you enter Acme File Cleaner in the search box it will return numerous entries, 90% of which include A F C in the text. As long as only those are deleted you should be find. It backs up the deleted so just keep the backup for a while.

8. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just downloaded it and ran the registry cleaner.

It does seem to be a lot less aggressive than old versions, which is good. However unfortunately it does a "deep" scan for file references, and as to be expected it does give some false positives.

If you are going to use this (bearing in mind you never ever need to clean the registry), you should check the results and uncheck the false positives before cleaning.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I agree with what's been said about checking the results before taking any action. I tested this program and it told me I had some obsolete entries in the registry, but when I clicked on 'Open in Regedit', the entries aren't actually there. If I remove these entries, they re-appear on next scan.

The same applies to 'Invalid Add/Remove entries' under 'Installed Applications'. I think this is a bug as no corresponding entries can be found in Regedit.

11. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

A little bit late, but thanks for the heads up.

Good tool to search for leftovers :thumb:

12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

That looks a nice program.It does have a portable version which i assume is babylon free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.