The new MacBook Pro is the first computer to include Intels ThunderBolt technology!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

The newly updated MacBook Pro is the first computer to include Intels ThunderBolt Technology,
    (formerly codenamed Light Peak) wich has been developed by Intel through a technical collaboration with Apple. And offers up to 10Gbps transfer speed, up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0.

More info Here: http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

And finally from Intel: http://newsroom.intel.com/community...stest-data-connection-to-your-pc-just-arrived

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Sad that they used copper with the promise "we will change to fiber eventually". Uhu, milk the cow then re-sell it. Hopefully they will be using fiber before I next have to upgrade.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes, first it was fiber but then they change it to copper.
    They said that they was going to further develop the fiber version of TB and test it more inside the labs.
    Something like that, I don't remember the exact reason for delaying the fiber though:doubt:

But still funky, we can't really complain about the copper speeds either;)

4. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Registered Member

This article states that the OEMs wanted something cheaper then fiber(not a surprise), so Intel was forced to use copper.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/02/24/intel_thunderbolt_copper_embrace_explained/

But the speeds are still great for being cooper, I wasn't sure if they would be able to get the speeds up that high. I'll just wait for the fiber to be implmented at some point.:D

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Then you would probably need to wait about a year until a new version get's released. Since Apple has sort of a "1 year a head" exclusive.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I wonder if thunderbolt will be implemented in the upcoming iMac due out soon.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I don't anticipate upgrading for the next 2 years so that's cool with me :p

8. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Registered Member

Yep, same here.

Probably, I am very curious to see what Apple will put in the iMac. Considering how powerful they made the Macbook Pros with the Quad-Core i5 and i7, it will be interesting to see what they put in the iMac.

9. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I wonder what exactly are the financial details of the deal between Apple and Intel. Intel could (and should have) included either TB or USB3 in CougarPoint chipsets but chose not to. As a result Mac's are the first to get TB, for which there is no peripheral support right now.

No doubt this will lead to more expensive 'designed for Mac' hard disks etc, and Apple users spend a lot more on hardware, so it leads to more profit for everyone.

TB still needs Intel silicon (the controller) in each device so its not going to be cheap or get wide adoption unless its part of every pc/laptop sold. It appears Intel is deliberately sabotaging USB3.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Oh really. I thought you wanted an upgrade to fiber ASAP :D

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That's very possible. Just sit tight and wait patiently for an update ;)

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm also waiting for the Lion OS in mid-Summer. As soon as that happens I will be getting an iMac.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.