The New Kerio Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by octogen, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Just saw at DSLReports forum that Kerio has released a beta version of the new Kerio PF 3.0. Based on some of the screen shots, it looks very different. Has anyone here tried it? Two of the things I like about Kerio is that it is low on resources and that you can restrict applications to (a) port(s) and even IP adress(es). Does anyone know if these hold true in the new version? Thanks in advance.

2. rockharder

rockharder Guest

Hi I think the New Kerio will meet up to all the features of the old Kerio + allot of new features!

But it is a complete new interface, some users are complaining about this. I think it is mostly a matter of getting used to the new interface. I think you still have the old "kerio feels and looks".

I reed that the FW engine is still low on resources (more or less the same) but the Config interface takes alittle more resouces (that only during configuration).

this early beta seems to be attached with some serious bugs, so I think it is wise to wait 1 or 2 beta before installation.

Some of the bug/features missing in this release:
    * No support for Save/Load Rules
    * "/" becomes "\" in pathnames
    * Advanced filter Rule button is greyed out..You must create filter rule in Advanced
    configuration, or wait for beta2
    * TCP ping not stealth
    * Some problems with accessing the ADMIN console
    And some more as found at the Yahoo Group!

But I think when they have sorted out these beta bugs this is a FW that will rock hard.

Expecally like the new application monitoring that will prevent (and Kill) any EXE's, DLL's running behing your back, thus all current Leaktests should be defeated! This feature is very simliar like the SSM (System Safe Monitoring, application) but seems to be nicer/easier to cope with!

Bye!

3. rockharder

rockharder Guest

Forgot to mention the thing you said about:

"you can restrict applications to (a) port(s) and even IP adress(es). "

This is even more flexible in the new Kerio since you can group diffrent IP's and assign them to rules. I Also think that timeassignments is possible! The Port restriction is still there when you use the Advanced mode!

4. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Hello and thanks, rockharder. A lot of info. I agree, one should wait for a few more betas or the final release. I also agree that once bugs are worked out, this should be one bang up firewall.

PS You should join our forum. It wouldn't hurt to add another knowledgeable person like you to this already knowledge-rich forum.

5. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Wow. That's quite an oversight. Everytime I get something new asking to connect, I use that advanced feature to fine tune what permission I'm giving it. I sure hope they change that.

6. snowy

snowy Guest

This looks like its going to be one very impressive firewall....sure made me take notice.

what would really be nice would be if someone could provide some from of help with the rule sets....like a few people do with sygate and Look n Stop........that might make the firewall more easily acceptable to newbes

snowman

7. xmarine

xmarine Guest

Hi snowy

Dslreports has a forum exclusively for Kerio/Tiny firewall which i have found really good for any help you may need. They also have a FAQ section you can look through which helps with some basics.

The nice thing about there forum is that you get to see actual screen shots of things, which makes things alot more helpful. People there are very nice & helpful also.

There is also the group at yahoo where people from Kerio co. actually drop by now & then to listen & answer questions & is where they post about updates. Its a pretty good group too.

There is a Kerio Personal Firewall FAQ site which can help as well. Located at :

http://www.blarp.com/faq/faqmanager.cgi?toc=kerio

The other two forums you can get to them below:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/keriofirewall/

Hope this helps.

8. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

how do these new features compare to other firewalls and how does it handle packet and logs.

can some one with experince in lets say black ice and zap and this new kerio put all 3 side by side and tell us the major defrences.

=(interface how difrent is it ?

9. snowy

snowy Guest

xmarine

much thanks for the info and links......I several times to day to download Kerio....but wasn'r able to.......perhaps thats due to the flooding in CZ............
    will take a peak at those links right now....appreciated

snowman

10. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

looks complicated as a newby id fear it yup some one needs to come up with a premade list how to configure it properly

from hmmmmmmm wow that way to much work personaly i think this fire wall will be populer with some of the high tech guys here who know what there doing.

for a newby it can be a nightmare from configuring it to run with your fave security apps to dial up or cable.

for example even thogh zap is mafde easy to use it differs in config for difrent os and conections most people dont know.

for example if you runing zap and your runing windows me and aol 7.0 and you on dial up you have to kind of teach it.

other wise you will get a service of denial on pages loading your budy list wont load aim instant messageing for im talk wont work

you have to dial up twice every time to connect to aol thats just a few problems with zap and if your a newby your like how do i fix that

now you take this new firewall and its like wow where do i start that thing is way out of my leigh lol

11. snowy

snowy Guest

Blaser.....you can handle this firewall....sure you can...but you wont know if you never try.

snowman

12. snowy

snowy Guest

* a paste from the first link provided by exmarine*
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, InstallShield considers itself to be a permanent component of the OS and provides no means for its own removal. If there are additional subfolders of the 'InstallShield Installation Information' folder, InstallShield has been used to install other programs and is required for their uninstall routines. Attempting its removal would be unwise. Otherwise, its files can be deleted and you can spend a couple days purging the registry of its residuals - if you're not in the habit of logging registry changes due to installations.

I've no information as to whether a corrupted InstallShield installation can interfere with a subsequent firewall reinstallation when the former firewall has been correctly removed
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never really approached the subject of the InstallShield until now...........an how it would effect other firewall installations......might be a real good idea to discuss this issue.

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.