The New Hotmail gives Gmail a run for its money

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Slate

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

"We fear change"... :eek:

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Windows Live Blog

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I managed to get a nice moniker in Hotmail, but never really used it much since Gmail was superior, at that time.

As soon as this rolls out for me, though, I'm switching.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Maybe I am just strange, but I have been with hotmail almost from the beginning. I have always liked it, better than yahoo or gmail or the slew of others that have come and gone. I always liked using it with OE, but they stopped that. I have made friends with LiveMail and use that now. I don't care for using a browser with any email account though.

For me, gmail is nice but never was as friendly as hotmail has been. I don't utilize 10% of the storage those services give me, so haven't seen much in upgrades really effect me over the years. I simply use it as email, which I do only when needed. Maybe that is why I don't get infected...

Sul.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I used Hotmail for years until it started to loose emails from certain webpages, they never came into inbox nor into junk, so I switched to gmail and never looked back.

But I am looking forward to give it a chance again, especially because of a new messenger.

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Hotmail is getting better. It's really positive. Google and Yahoo! will have to react. Google has a good strategy and future features but I think that they have lost too much time. GMail is not a top priority for them. I think this summer they are setting up their anti-Amazon storage service. Then all the other services will follow and get connected with the advanced storage features.

The SkyDrive feature and the 25GB free is the winner and from what I've heard they'll try to give more free space. Google has followed the strategy money for file storage, so when we have free vs money, I think we already know the winner.

8. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Sounds like they've come a long way over the years. I stick to POP for email myself, with Yahoo as an "emergency backup". I can remember when Hotmail and one other similar mail service (AOL?) had an atrocious reputation for delays in sending/receiving mail, with messages delayed forever (sometimes as much as a week or two) or even totally lost in transit.

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Windows Live Blog

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

That Farhad Manjoo hasn't got his story correct.

I don't know where that 'summer of 1996' and Bill Clinton came from, but that is not correct.

I signed up with Hotmail in 1986 :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. HoTMaiL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.