The New AVG Identity Protection -- Any Opinions ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hawki, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Re: The New AVG Idenity Protection -- Any Opinions ?

I installed it, and I also upgraded AVG 8 to version 8.5, and now, I'm trying to figure out what messed up with Sandboxie.

I actually don't know if it was either the install of AVG IDP or AVG 8 upgrade, or if the uninstallation of other tool. I'm checking it out.

What I do know, is that, after being able to make Sandboxie work again, by reinstalling it, my firewall sandbox feature went out of the window. I reinstalled the firewall. No deal. It wouldn't even start it's service. :argh:

I uninstalled the firewall, AVG IDP. Now, I can't install AVG IDP, because the installer will ask me to reboot before being able to reinstalling it again. I did just that, but to no avail.

I'm looking through the temporary files and registry and see what I can do.

One thing I know is that, if, indeed, were AVG IDP or AVG 8.5 upgrade messing up with everything, then, I'm really gonna get mad and freak out. :D

I'm in a real bad mood here.

Cheers.

P.S: Do not, but, do not! be frightened by my experience. :doubt: It may have nothing to do with it. But, the same happened in one other system. But, I also did upgrade to AVG 8.5 and uninstalled one same other application. So, let's no assume anything just yet. :doubt:

3. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Since upgrading yesterday to AVG Internet Security 8.5 (from version 8.0) but with AVG Identity Protection, I too have been having problems with Sandboxie 3.34.

On rebooting my PC I get two errors shown from Sandboxie:
    'Failed to record configuration setting ConfigLevel in section DefaultBox: C000041' and 'An error occurred while applying default settings for sandbox Default Box'.

AVG has been trying to help and I have supplied them with all of the information they asked for: no response has been received directly so far from the author of Sandboxie. Yesterday, at AVG's suggestion, I completely removed Sandboxie from my PC, downloaded a fresh copy and installed that, but the error messages still showed on reboot.

Today I was asked to disable one part of AVG IS at a time and report back. Rebooting with Web Shield disabled and then with the Firewall disabled produced no error messages on reboot, yet these were shown when Resident Shield and then Link Scanner were disabled and the PC rebooted.

I am relieved that AVG is working on this, but disappointed not to have heard directly yet from the author of Sandboxie.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Would the firewall you are both talking about be Zone Alarm?

I started this Wilders thread: AVG Free Upgraded to 8.5.278 and have noticed a slow ZA boot, accompanied by an increased CPU Usage via the Resident Shield, with the Free version (no error messages). I'm also starting to see some posts in the Free forum with complaints about AVG 8.5 conflicts with ZA, yet the Free version does not have the Theft Identity Protection feature.

5. Green Giant

No, the firewall I was talking about is part of AVG Internet Security 8.5.

AVG Identity Protection came as part of the upgrade from version 8.0 of AVG Internet Security. AVG Internet Security is subject to a paid subscription.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Green Giant, thanks for the reminder! Forgot that the IS version has a firewall, besides the ID Protection (the only Paid version that has it, so far). Probably m00nbl00d is running the same IS version as you.

It's weird that there could be a problem with their own firewall yet something in their programming code must be interfering with ZA. Just a wild guess at this point.

7. m00nbl00d

I'm using Outpost Firewall Pro 2009.
    The whole process messed up with the sandbox feature of the firewall. I had to uninstall it, and then reinstall. A simple reinstall wouldn't do the trick.

In one of my systems I got Sandboxie back, after reinstalling it, but AVG IDP isn't installed, as I can't even reinstall it.

I tried to download AVG IS to install it and then remove all, to see if it would clean any leftovers of IDP, but, I tried 5-6 times to download it, and everytime it reaches 99% it just stops downloading!

I'm wasting way to much traffic because of this damn thing.

In one other system where I still got IDP, Sandboxie won't work at all.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  8. Green Giant

I suggested this evening,to the author of Sandboxie, via an 'Anything Else' Sandboxie Forum, that he got in touch with AVG direct. This may sort matters out more quickly and he, the author, would be able to explain the meaning of the error messages I had had.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well if it is anything like Norton Antibot (since its the same app basically) then i suggest you dont use it...

10. Green Giant

I disabled AVG Identity Protection and rebooted, but the error messages were then again displayed.

I cannot but believe that this is a general problem for those with both Sandboxie 3.34 and AVG Internet Security 8.5, but no solution has yet been published that I have seen.

11. m00nbl00d

I was using Sandboxie 3.35 beta.

Could you try to add to AVG IDP allowed list, all the processes/files contained in the Sandboxie folder, and see if it would work out?

Regards

12. Green Giant

Thanks for your suggestion M00nbl00d.

I have just tried entering a tick on the boxes alongside sbiectrl.exe and sbiesvc.exe, which are shown as processes being monitored by AVG Identity Protection. I then rebooted, but the error messages still recurred.

Meanwhile I have had an e-mail from AVG saying that the matter has been passed to their developers, so let's hope that it has not been kicked into the long grass!

13. m00nbl00d

No problem.

Perhaps, you could also try the following.

Just managed to reinstall AVG IDP (the stand alone version) again in one of my systems (the one I had it uninstalled). After digging and digging through the registry I managed to find the damn key that was preventing me from reinstalling it.

So, I reintalled it. Finally! I rebooted. I witnessed no problems, specially with my firewall, though I did see an initial error message by the firewall saying it didn't load the network service. A reboot seemed to make things works fine again. I hope stays that way!

Anyway, I reinstalled Sandboxie v3.35 Beta. I did a clean install. I always had made upgrades.

Sandboxie loads just fine. At least, for now.

In another system, I only reinstalled Sandboxie 3.35 Beta as an upgrade. It won't load. I'll try a clean install and see what happens.
    Hopefully will work fine.

I thought you could give this approach a try. Still, let's hope tzuk and AVG work something out.

Regards

14. Green Giant

Renewed thanks for your posting M00nbl00d!

My copy of AVG Idenity Protection came with the free upgrade of version 8 of AVG Internet Security to 8.5, so presumably I would have to buy another licence for a stand alone version.

When installing a freshly downloaded copy of Sandboxie 3.34, I did fist of all clean out shortcuts and registry entries using two excellent programs from www.superwinccom: A1 Cleaner and RegVac.

Whilst waiting for AVG's developers, I will try the beta versions of sandboxie to see if any improvement.

Best Wishes

Green Giant

15. m00nbl00d

So, there I went to install Sandboxie 3.35 Beta on the other system (A clean install), and it wouldn't load. I was starting to wonder if I just got lucky on the other system. :doubt:
    After many uninstalls and reinstalls of Sandboxie 3.35 Beta, I did manage to get it to load! :argh: :-*

But!, the same that has happened in the other system, happened again, on this one. The firewall gives an error alert saying that the sandbox failed to start.

I restarted already two times, to no avail. :ouch:

I'm going to see if uninstalling the antivirus, which I did uninstall from the other system, solves anything.

This is turning out to be an extraordinary adventure! :eek:

16. m00nbl00d

I downloaded AVG IS 8.5, and upgraded from 8.0, but it IDP won't work. It says that my license is not valid for IDP to work.

I was able to install the rest of the suite, though. Just can't make IDP to work.

Go figure...

17. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello hawki,

AVG Identity Protection(IP) 8.5 is essentially the final release version of the now discontinued Primary Response SafeConnect(PRSC) 3.5 beta described in the link below, but with one notable difference.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=223934

According to my contact within AVG, with the exception of bug fixes, that difference is background checks. To take a quote from an email reply, "Basically, if an application is running (not just on disk, but actually running), even if it doesn't cause an alert the agent will make a best effort to check with our backend servers to see if it is a threat or if it is a legit program. This feature was added primarily to cut down on bandwidth usage when we transfer new configurations down to the agent."

FYI, current PRSC subscribers can upgrade for "free" to AVG's IP 8.5 by inserting their existing license key. Lastly, since 10/28/08 when I was actively testing the now discontinued PRSC 3.5 beta through to the present AVG IP 8.5, I can honestly attest to the fact that both the former and the latter have effectively narrowed the detection performance gap that previously existed between them and Mamutu and ThreatFire. Additionally, AVG IP is much more affordable at a cost of just $19.99(USD).

http://www.avg.com/download-trial
    http://www.avg.com/download

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

18. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks for the info :)

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

m00nbl00d, perhaps the second part of this FAQ How to install AVG Identity Protection might shed more light and if that fails, since you are a paid customer, follow this FAQ How to contact Customer Services.

20. progress

progress Guest

Why firzen? :doubt:

21. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

@CogitoErgoSum

Thanks for the link, I had an unused lisence of PRSC, so have now 365 days AVG IP. Trying it with AVG Free and GeSWall

First looks
    - lots of Reads
    - slightly more CPU cycles then ThreatFire
    - loads earlier than in the past

This is the second application you prefere which is acquired by AVG (1st Linkscannner Pro and 2nd PRSC). When is defensewall acquired by AVG (you seem to have a lot of influence at AVG ;) )

22. progress

progress Guest

First looks:

Light like a feather, no slow down at all :thumb:

23. m00nbl00d

Well...

I did manage to make AVG IDP run along side Sandboxie just fine. The funny thing? I had to uninstall Eset AV... Odd?

The other oddity, is that disabling IDP's services would allow Sandboxie to load. But, disabling Eset's services wouldn't. IDP's service are more than Eset's.

I do not know to what point AVG IDP is the culprit for Sandboxie not working before.

I tried to reproduce this in a virtual machine, but, I don't have enough spare memory, so I can't install that many software, loading services.
    But, I install Sandboxie and AVG IDP, and it Sandboxie worked just fine. I then installed Eset AV and Sandboxie worked just fine.

This makes me wonder, and perhaps a stupid thought/question - Does Windows has some sort of limitation regarding how many services it can run?

I know it sounds a stupid question, but, well, what else can it be? Wouldn't Sandboxie simply not work at all, with AVG IDP installed? Curious...

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Personally i wasn't all that impressed with it. I like ThreatFire more.
    It's free and just works better when it detects malware. And to be honest TF missed far less in my internal test.

25. m00nbl00d

Don't see this in a disrespectful way, but, last time I checked, the user who started this thread wanted to know more about AVG Identity Protection, and not what is better than what.

I'm sure we all have our own opinions. And, not to mention, that the same tools will make people have different experiences.

And, just to clarify one thing, I don't consider ThreatFire a behavior blocker, rather a classical HIPS, perhaps will less power than others. Same goes for Mamutu.

The difference is that AVG IDP will only flag if something is really nasty, because is doing something a safe application wouldn't be doing. Not to mention that AVG IDP checks against a list of known and digitally signed applications. This is, indeed, the best for most people who are not confortable with HIPS and other alike tools, such as ThreatFire and Mamutu, which makes questions and more questions, questions...

So, as you may see, it depends on who is using what. I'm sure that in the hands of someone else, ThreatFire would miss a lot, if not all.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.