The most idiot proof AV I've seen!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mercurie, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Grisoft AVG Free!

I have been using AVG 7 Free for a couple of weeks and I find it to be functioning flawlessly. Tinkering is optional and limited. It has not failed to work exactly as made. It is nearly idiot proof. Detections and ability to clean at the test sites is very important thing to watch of course but I am very amazed that this works so well as a free program. It has all you really need in AV near as I can tell allowing you to focus on other security issues. I post this for those afraid to try programs (I am a little that way) and need a good AV (especially youngsters with no or low $$) and wish to seek opinions of those who are or have used a product. Hope it helps. ;)

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I'm using no AV on this workstation, call me an idiot :)

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

AVG was queit nice,but i didn't like one day update checking (only once per day) and very unfrequent updating of definitions.

4. TAP

TAP Registered Member

What works best for you is the best and the true-real-world antivirus program test is on your machine. ;)

Generally, free AV program is limited and not offer full functions/options as the paid one. But if those limited functions/options are suit to your needs/risk level and you can deal with it by apply other security programs (anti-spyware/trojan, firewall, your safe hex) as a layered protection so it shouldn't be a problems.

With limited AVG FE, I can't configure my own scan/update tasks and other aspects, I can get scheduled task update checking only 1 time a day but I manually update by right click on AVG CC icon as soon as I go online.

avast! Home Edition is the best free AV when it comes to complete auto updates and some avast! HE's functions can beat some paid AVs.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  5. mercurie

TAPP,
    Yes, I agree completely on all points except on the AVAST part and only there because of my lack of knowledge about that one. Hard to agree if you have no knowledge. :)

I hear AVAST slows systems down so I would rather not go to that for this older machine. I may decide AVG 7 is not enough at some point but until I decide it works just fine for my needs. Good speaking with you. ;)

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

LINUX??

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) Some very good points made here. After years of trying to find the best (FREE) virus protection program, it comes down to this I think. It is an individual choice, and what works for one person does not necessarily work for another. The type of machine and it's capacity becomes important also.

Here is my take on three of them:

(1) AntiVir/PE: Updater is antiquated, updates take a long time on an older machine. Company slow to make any significant changes. Basic functions, but seems to do a good job for what it is. Perhaps a good FREE program for older machines with limited RAM.

(2) AVG 7.0: Appears to be a RAM hog, can slow down the functioning on older machines. Perhaps a very good FREE program for newer machines with larger amounts of RAM.

(3) AVAST: It has control of where it's operating files will be placed and they are difficult to remove if the user wishes to do so. Also appears to use larger amount of RAM. Again appears to be a very good FREE program for newer machines with larger amounts of RAM.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool:

8. mercurie

Wildman,
    I have never used any Free AV until AVG 7. I have read about reviewed and listen to others for a long time tho.
    1) Never used it do not know will take your word for it tho.
    3) Never used it do not know will take your word on it tho.

2) AVG 7 hog :p not on my Compaq Presario with Celeron 800MgHz, 256 RAM running XP Home Ed. (upgraded my system with clean install of retail box XP in Aug. 2003, dumped useless Compaq System ME OS restore disk what a useless pc of crap that was, just stopped working doing system saves to another partition, but that is another story).

I have seen your pain going from AVG 6 to 7 both here at the Wilders Forest and other places. Did you ever get 7 to work for you correctly? Also I do not think you are running XP are you? All in all I do agree with you tho. It's about choice and taste and system, each is slightly different both hardware wise and software wise ;)

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Yep, full time (accept for my online banking account, so, I'll be changing bank soon, you're a hard core security freak or you aren't :D)

10. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

~snip~ uncalled for, please refrain from personal attacks ~ Blackspear.

Secondly, you have to check and double check everything by hand when something suspicious comes up and please tell me what you use for that.
    Good luck and I'll hope for you to stay clean.

Proost!!!!
    Putin

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
  11. wildman

:D Hi mercurie: No AVG 7.0 slows my machine to a crawl. I am no tech. wizard, but think it could be that I have limited RAM on my Compaq Presario 5070 Desktop (Anyone who knows this stuff please post a reply). I am utilizing Windows98. I can say that 96% of my system is free according to the system check. I also utilize dial-up with a 56k modem. I utilize Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1. I utilize a reg cleaner and crap cleaner on a frequent basis. I don't know, but the one I like the least appears to work the best on my machine (wouldn't you know it).

Thanks
    wildman
    ;) :p

12. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

I'm running AVG FE on one of my machines that is a P3 450mhz with 640 Meg of Ram. It doesn't slow my machine at all.

13. wildman

:D Thanks, but I have practiced that start up procedure from the get go. As I said am not a tech. wizard, my machine says AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor 28MB RAM.

Thanks
    wildman
    o_O

14. wildman

:D Are you running version 7.0? AVG 6.0 worked like a charm for me, but the 7.0 version slows my machine to a snail pace. Can't afford new equipment or software (I live on a disability income).

Thanks
    wildman
    :eek: :cool:

15. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

Yeah AVG 7. Absolutely no problems.

16. Shakehands

Shakehands Registered Member

Sure do agree with you there Mercurie. Have just installed AVG for a friend on his Laptop after NAV had ceased to function and he had been hit by about 30 nasties during the down time.

I just followed Blackspear's general Virus & Trojan removal instructions and he is up and running again with AVG Free - and although he is quite "new" to PC's he now fully understands how to use and maintain it.

Regards,

17. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Are you sure 28 mb ram because I can't see windows running with that little ram at all

18. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Good to see that you have his system all clean, I would also suggest that he takes a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

This is what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

19. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I have noticed that AVG7 seems to slow down old machines (e.g. 266-300Mhz PIIs with 128MB RAM) more compared to AVG6 and the memory footprint for all its processes came to about 37MB when I checked it with WinTop. However Grisoft will presumably stop updates for AVG6 at some point so staying with that is not a long term option.

While adding extra RAM is normally good advice, doing so for an older machine is not always possible or practical (prices for older RAM chips tend to soar as manufacturers stop making them). One option to investigate for Win9x users could be the free (for home use) F-Prot DOS Scanner. You don't get background scanning but you can schedule regular full system scans (using Windows' System Agent) and also use scripts/batch files to check incoming files or email attachments (details on doing this will depend on the software you use). This should provide equivalent security to a background scanner in most cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.