The Great Defrag Shootout

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Franklin, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

May have been posted before.

Good reading on defrags and I don't completely agree with his findings as keeping your C drive to a minimum with other data files stored on another partition is the best way to keep the system drive uncluttered.
    Defrag Shootout

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

th reivewer is very negitive of diskeeper 2007.
    alot of people here including me use and like diskeeper alot.
    as said you cant go wrong with the folowing three.
    1. perfectdisk
    2. 0&0 defrag
    3. diskeeper.
    lodore

3. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

Yeah, looks like he is excessively harsh on DK. I use Diskeeper too, and I like its speed, features and options. Has everything I need. Not saying that its everybody's cup of tea though, but works for me.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I got it from Gizmo's newsletter too, he gets these.

Liked the reviews a lot, got JKDefrag for some time now (now i know it works as the best), i added PageDefrag and NTREGOPT last night.

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

lodore~ as a Paragon user you should be delighted that he had some very good things to say about Paragon Total Defrag 2007. ;)

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Boy, for average puter Joe's such as say .... Detox :D;) or myself .... I'm still with update's team leader *RANDY BELL!*

GF

7. WraithTDK

WraithTDK Registered Member

I definitely recommend perfect disk.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi Pvsurfer,
    your right i did like the review of paragpn total defrag.
    the defragger is also in paragon harddrive manager 8.5
    lodore

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Yes, but PHDM 8.5 uses an abridged version of Total Defrag 2007 (i.e., more limited defrag-options).

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I have not read the article.

But I would just like to comment:

Some defraggers work better for some people than others: rare bugs/glitches, usage patterns etc.

Most reviews are fundamentally flawed in that they only defrag a disc once and measure how many fragments are left.

How well a disc is defragged is meaningless.
    What is important is how much the drive refragments before the next defrag run (based on recomended OR your personal schedule).

We use our machines regularly, we need to know how a defragger performance with repeated use over weeks/months, what the level of fragmentation is BETWEEN fragmentation runs, when we are actually using the machines.
    No point have a defragger that can perfectly defrag a drive if the level of fragmentation furing general use quickly returns to the level of that of a supposed inferior defrag tool, this is the exact reason why how well a disc can be defragged is meaningless, its refragmentation that should be monitored.

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I think refragmentation has mostly to do with use and not so much related with defrag tools,dataservers,workstations with moving,copying,deleting big files everyday and on the other end office machines with are mostly static,between them refragmentation makes a difference.

12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Question to ask is how much difference do the different strategies (file placement, defrag frequency) of the defrag tools make to refragmentation/average fragmentation levels ?

I don't know the exact answer but some tests I ran last year showed the previous version of diskeeper to be very similar to perfectdisk on number of fragments after a few weeks (both configured 100% default).

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I think most defrag app do a good job,how they handle fragmented free space is at least that important,clever placement off data on disk wil also help to keep fragmentation at bay.I know off one defragger who let you place every file anywhere you want to.The Ultimate Defrag from Disktrix,take a look if you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.