The final two contenders...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by OriginalGnome, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OriginalGnome

OriginalGnome Registered Member

Ok, after some more testing i've hit an impasse. The 2 contenders for my switch from the beleaguered Norton range are BitDefender and Kaspersky. I can't decide on which one to use (antivirus only that is).>.<

What do you think? Which is better than the other? Why?

2. btman

btman Registered Member

Grab Kaspersky and use BitDefender 8 free edition as on-demand... bitdefender 10 i don't hear too much good about though.. so yeah stick with kaspersky.

3. doctor IT

doctor IT Registered Member

I still am with BitDefender 10 even if it has some little bugs. Its heuristic is better, ,but its desinfection isn't as good as Kaspersky's one :shifty: and according from Av-Comparatives.org , Kaspersky has the best detection to On-Demans comparatives (excepting of course, antiviruses that uses more than 1 proper scan engine like AVK, F-Secure (I think) and others.)

4. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Doctor IT I quote your opinion about bitdefender v. 10. Is good AV. Not very heavy on my pc, good detection, controls on dialer, start-up programs.
    Good choice coupled with ZA Pro.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I havae not used BD 10. However I did use BD up through 9.0 for over a year. At some point BD and my other security programs conflicted with BSODs. The BD support folks said to remove my other programs. I removed BD instead and have not looked back.
    I much prefer KAV6.
    BD gave me excellent protection, but scans were slow, in excess of 40 minutes.
    KAV after the first complete scan, and using the "scan only new or changed files" option takes around 6 minutes for a system scan.

BD may have better heuristics, although KAV 6 may be as good. I won't argue that point. However, there is really no argument as to the on-demand detection rates. KAV is clearly superior.

The price of BD is attractive, and they allow one license for two computers.

If you like BD, and want the two computer set up, then go for it.
    As for me, I would not go back after using KAV, NOD, and F-Secure.
    I like all of those better than BD.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.