The ESET Firewall is fast?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by rdsu, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

I would like to know how fast is this firewall?

Some firewall's adds a lot of delay on the connections, so will be nice to see your opinions about this one...

Thanks

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi COSMO26,

Are you refering about the Firewall (packet filter) of ESET?

Regards

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There are no speed tests on firewalls anywhere as far as I know. The best thing is just install it and try.

4. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

1 mile per second

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It can be difficult to test network performance of firewall software over the Internet due to variations beyond your control (bandwidth utilization outside of your segment, load on servers and so forth), but if you have another machine on your local area network, you can try copying a variety of files or some other activity and then try timing it to see what difference, if any, is noted.

You would probably want to run tests multiple times and reboot between them to avoid potential issues with caching affecting the results.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

agoretsky,

But internally, you make these tests and compare them with other Firewalls, right?

Are you satisfied with the results?

Regards

7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I myself have not done such testing of the firewall feature, but I am familiar with the concept and did similar types of tests for previous employers to see the effect an application, service, driver or protocol had on bandwidth consumption on a network and resource utilization on the computer.

In my own experience, the speed and the quality of the network connection tends to be more of a limiting factor than the firewall since a modern computer should have more than enough processor cycles to filter traffic ingressing from the network connection and still be able to perform other tasks. My experience may be atypical when compared to the average forum member, though, which is why I suggested trying to perform your own benchmarks. That should give you a much better idea of how the software will perform in your environment.

One more thing to keep in mind is that the method by which the firewall operates has changed between ESET Smart Security v3.0 and v4.0, at least under Microsoft Windows Vista. If you are running this operating system, you may want to test both the current build of v3.0 (v3.0.672.0) as well as v4.0 Public Beta 1 to see if any differences in performance are noted.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for your info ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.