The end of multi layered approach?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Just to spice up discussion

With security applications using different angles of protection, the need for a layered security apporach is decreasing. Also the operating systems themselves are providing more build in protection like Vista's FW, LUA (regsitry and file virtualisation and IE running in protected mode).

Online Armor: Anti Executable + FireWall + Policy restriction (run safer) + web protection (paid) + HIPS + white/blacklists on executables

A2 Malware: Behavioral IDS + Community voting + AS/AT/AV engine + webprotection

ThreatFire: Behavioral IDS + Quarantaine Rollback filter + AV intrusion check + Outbound + custom rules

EQSecurity: Classical HIPS + sandbox + outbound (new version)

Comodo: HIPS + FW + black/white list executables + AV (Beta)

DefenseWall: Policy HIPS + Outbound (next release) + resource protection + Total untrusted file control

Prevx: as a pioneer on combining different angles has the lot

And the traditional suites like Kappersky, Outpost Pro, Norton 360 etc.

There are more examples for sure, so why bother in putting together a multi layered apporach when most security aps will provide you simular results with knowledge of experts build in and out of the box knowledge available?

Cheers Kees

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you forgot Geswall. If I were to pick a single app instead of a layered approach, Geswall would get the nod.

3. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Why put together a multilayer approach still? For the same reason as before, as not to place all of your security 'eggs' into one basket.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think you can now, most actually do and never have a issue. The reality is most products are good enough to keep you safe by themselves, and do. I sometimes think we really blow the whole concept of a trojan destroying the world, way out of proportion. Most of us just turn the lock on our door knobs at night to lock and secure our homes and families. No layered approach to security there. But which has more importance.

5. Kees1958

I have a lisence of GeSWall Pro and like it very much (because it is faster than most sandboxes), but doubted to mention them because GW does not have total untrusted file control (which can be a danger for non expert users, for instance when you download a infected file, unpack it with a trusted application to another partition, then you are naked), so okay

GW Pro: policy HIPS + outbound protection (with special trick) + Virtualisation

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No problem and thank you. But wouldnt that hold true to most you listed if they failed to detect the infected file in the first place.

7. thathagat

thathagat Guest

layered approach or not...? well at the end of the day the biggest security hole is always the one in front of the PC and that trigger...nay mouse happy finger shooting from the hip is a fickle master letting the strongest suite or the layered setup down with a simple ignore/skip command....

8. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

So what would be an easy to use add on to GW to handle untrusted file control?
    And what special trick for outbound protection?
    Hugger

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Well, the trend is clear that multi-vendor approaches are getting lower and lower at the market. Suites are more reliable for end-users and, also, its cost is higher. :)

10. Kees1958

The easiest add-on would be common sense of the user, I do not know of a software based add on

Change the network device in GW console from threatgate to confidential (confidential means you get simular control as with DefenseWall resource protection)

11. Kees1958

Not with policy based protection like DW and GW and Virtualisation sandboxes or partition virtuaisation, because they do not ask the user.

With OA for instance it is possible to run unknown programs with limited rights, this feature does not throw a pop-up, just restrict the damage an execytable can do. A2/PrevX/DriveSentry have community voting with auto accept when for instance 90% of the community makes a certain choice(trusting that only the minority of PC users are fools)

With ThreatFire I have configured to create a restore point before quarantaine and simply quarantaine know PUA's and Malware without asking the user.

It will be possible to deal at large with the monkey in front of the screen.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  12. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

nothing about your post suggests the need for multiple layers is decreasing... it only suggests the need for multiple products is decreasing because vendors are putting multiple layers into one product...

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

but at least by doing that you wont get conflicts between two or more security softwares.plus saves some money too.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Mr. Home Invader & Mr. Burglar, say hello to my layered friends, Mr.12-Gauge & Mr. Canine Unit. ;)

15. Kees1958

Tada :thumb: Exactly: I have often seen overlapping products because multiple layer was interpreted: I do not trust one application so let's add an overlapping application.

Although this cross stapling/overlapping principle is used in construction, in software it does not nesseceraly mean that 1 + 1 = 1,5 (certainly not two). Overlap also has the disadvantages Jmonge mentiones :thumb:

Regards Kees

16. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

i suspect you might be verging on best of breed territory here (ie. i like A's scanner best, but B's firewall plays better with my system while C's rootkit detection looks really really good)...

well, i agree there really isn't that much point in using 2 of the same technology, but just because you use 2 products that have overlapping parts doesn't mean you have to use those overlapping parts... often you can discard parts you don't want at install time or disable them after the install...

17. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Kees,
    Thanks. That would make a nice setup for my daughter.
    Hugger

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think this is true.... more often than not, the suites today are pretty good and cover a lot of ground, with overall good results. For most, that's "good enough". And to get all the components working together in your multi-layered approach is no small feat nowadays. OS's are including more yes. I think we're seeing the way it's all going and the way it'll end up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.