"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D."

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sansemiano, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Whilst I'm on my power trip :) , check to make sure none of your main motherboard capacitors are getting warm, or are bulging, or if have bulged, brown sticky goo oozing out.

The ones to look at are tall, will have an approximate value of 330uF -> 1500uF.

If bulging or already leaking, they'll need replacing, making sure they are replaced with 105 deg C low ESR types (the more expensive ones natch).

If you have access to a voltmeter or multimeter, it would be interesting to see if there is any AC ripple getting to the motherboard on the dc lines.

Most PC power supplies only regulate the +5v line. It might be worth disconnecting one drive and see if the problem still appears. Obviously this makes using TI in your setup a little difficult. Is there adequate airflow over the harddrives?

Colin

2. sansemiano

sansemiano Registered Member

the motherboard is only one year old. bulging capacitors seems to be something for much older setups. the power supply is a high quality seasonic setup. the system can't run with only one drive.

if the power supply is the culprit it would mean a new case, cause it is custom made for this case.

running stress-tests with cpu-burn and rthdribl gives no strange effects. just like the memtest-test stable as a rock.

running hd-tune tests on the harddiscs also give fine results. nothing wrong. smart-data gives no reason to worry.

it's a puzzle. :)

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Do you have access to a multimeter?

To test for AC ripple on a DC line, attach the black lead of the MM to a part of the metal case, then place the red lead on one of the red cables from the power supply - have the meter set to AC and the 20v or 15v range (just in case you try a 12v line by mistake). The needle or readout should be very close to zero. Reduce the meter range until you get 2 or 3 digit readings.

If using an analogue meter, the needle may tremble, which is a good indication of poor DC smoothing somewhere in your system. For a digital meter, there will be some noise so the least significant digit will probably flicker. If there is a reading to be had, the readout will be reasonably constant, it may fluctuate but not by very much.

It would be worth doing the test near the filter caps on the MB as well, as the amount of filtering from standard (but possibly not your one) is not what could be called excellent.

Colin

Colin

4. sansemiano

yes, i do have access to a multimeter. i even know how to use it. i'm from origin an electronic engineer.

but, my sixth sense says it ain't the power supply that is the culprit. besides that motherboard monitor is constantly monitoring all voltages and those haven't changed a bit from the past.

and hard-discs are hardly a serious load for a 350 watt powersupply. idle consumption is about 8 watts each and when under full stress maybe 10 watts.

i think it has something to do with the nvidia storage drivers. maybe it wasn't wise to install every update of it. maybe it's better to revert to an older chipset-driver.

5. techtype

techtype Registered Member

What happens when you turn off AI Nos overclock?

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I am inclined to agree that it is not faulty hardware and may well be the drivers. Do a Google search for ID 11 and Nvidia; you will see various references, some of them fairly old.

I think techtype's suggestion of disabling the AI NOS to be a good and easy one to try just to eliminate it from the possibilities list if nothing else.

7. sansemiano

it doesn't make a difference. tried that. :)

8. sansemiano

removed all nvidia drivers inclusing the grpahics driver and then removed residues with driver cleaner pro.

then rebooted and had a look in the system log. no eventid:11 error messages during boot.

then i made an image of the driverless windows partition with ati home 10. no problem. went smoothly without any errors.

after that i installed the chipset-drivers (6.86) and rebooted. had a look in the system log and no eventid:11 error messages during boot.

then i installed the graphics driver and rebooted. another look in the system log and there the famous eventid:11 error messages re-appear during boot.

and now a few minutes later the system generates them spontaneous.

it seems graphics driver 93.71 is not compatible with storage driver 6.86.

:)

9. sansemiano

un-installed display driver 93.71 and rebooted.

no eventid:11 messages during boot. only 2 nvata messages stating both harddiscs were recognized.

tried ati: works fine.

sooooh, now what?

install display driver 91.47, 91.31, 84.21, 81.98 or 81.95? :)

10. techtype

techtype Registered Member

Wait for a day and see if the messages reappear. You've gone without them for periods before.

11. sansemiano

true, true.

i'll do that.

12. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

My NVidia driver is 84.21, with no problems as far as TI is concerned. I did have a problem with Acronis Malware Shield, because of an older version of the driver.

On the power supply comment, I actually have in my lap (and why not?) an ATX S-ata style power supply, which will sulk if two S-ata drives are used, but quite happy if only one drive is connected - connect the extra drive, power feeds become very noisy and then overcurrent crowbar zaps into action and it switches itself off.

I'll get around to repairing it one day.

Now if you had a comms problem, I'd jump right to different earth potentials as a problem, but <sigh> that'd be a definite red herring here.

Colin

13. sansemiano

it might not be the 93.71 display driver itself, but a combination with the 6.86 chipsetdriver.

just installed the 81.95 display driver and promptly eventid:11 messages re-appear in the log during boot.

so, i think i will revert to an older chipsetdriver and see what happens then.

14. sansemiano

just installed chipsetdrivers 6.70 and display drivers 84.21. and guess what?

eventid:11 messages in the log during boot.

sofar not during normal operation.

if i un-install the display driver there are no eventid:11 messages in the log.

15. sansemiano

:)

i like to check the easy things first. besides that i don't think the powersupply is wrong. as soon as the nvidia-drivers are un-installed the system does not show the errors we are talking about here.

and i guess both drives take about the same amount of power whether they are driven by the native windows drivers or by the nvidia drivers.

16. sansemiano

lots of spontaneous eventid:11 messages now in the log on disc 1 with 6.70 and 84.21.

however ati works flawless at the moment despite the system generating error message just before.

so, lets see how this develops.

17. GianniC

GianniC Registered Member

Just a question:
    Does your system work fine (no Evt 11) with some chipset(storage) driver installed?
    I mean: did you use the system for some time (one day or longer) with some version of chipset driver installed and get no error? Did your disks work in UltraDMA mode during this time?

18. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

This thread has now moved away from an Acronis True Image support issue and is hereby closed. Suggest you continue trouble shooting the Event 11 error problem by starting a new thread in the <Software & Services Forum>.

Regards

Menorcaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.