The Display Resolution War – How much resolution is enough?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Nov 18, 2014.

1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You can't really answer this with logic. The same way 10 years back, your Internet was enough. And 30 years back, landline phones were enough. In many cases, the technology must progress for the sake of progress so that something else will become highly useful and relevant one day. Maybe future displays will serve a biological or neural function or something, but to get there, you need to go through a dozen iterations of marketing nonsense and unnecessary innovation for the sake of it.

Truth to be told, you don't need more than the eye can perceive. But then, the same is true for most digital media and information versus human organs. The only question is, how will these technologies enable us with something else, indirectly?

OT, it's not resolution specifically. It's the pixel density - quantity of information per unit of area (square inch or mm or something). Until someone invents a biological display :)

Mrk

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

My phone has a 4.7" 720x1280 display, which is 312 pixels per inch. While this is not a particlarly high PPI amount (for example the LG G3 has 534 PPI), the display is very sharp.

I think a much bigger issue than screen resolution on smart phones, is sceen resolution of laptops which tends to be quite low these days. My 8 year old Compal HEL80 has a 15.4" screen with a 1,680x1,050 resolution. These days many 17" laptops have a lower resolution.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Are you able to read the text?

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have no trouble reading it personally, and I would say that only people with poor vision would have trouble doing so, in which case you could use a custom DPI in Windows to make everything larger. I prefer the high resolution to the lower resolutions found on a lot of laptops.

It's interesting to note that the resolution is much lower than some much smaller smartphones. For example, the LG G3 with a 5.5" display, and the 5.7" Galaxy Note 4, both have resolution of 1440x2560, which is more than double the resolution of my Compal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.