The Difference In Amount Of Scanned Files

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Shaker, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I have been doing a little unoffical test of my own with Panda Platinum and Trend Micro. I've noticed that when doing a C:\ scan, Panda scans about 160,000 files, while Trend Micro scans around 36,000. Why the big discrepency? I figure it has something to do with one scanning inside zip files and the other doesn't. But I don't have that many zip files on my computer. What else could cause this?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It is all the difference in the way they count files. trend might count a compressed file with ten objects as 1 file where as panda may count all ten objects. and it is not just zip files it could be a folder of pictures or any file with multiple objects in it. Just because Trend shows less files that doesn't mean it is actually scanning any less objects. as long as they are both set to scan all files

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Could you look at the scanning logs and see what they scan?

It would be interesting to see the differences.

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Probably not, ronjor as a former Panda user I know their logs are not very informative. There is no way to log every file that is scanned like there is with NOD. Never used Trend so I don't if it has the capability.

5. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Thanks bigc. I figured that was it. I forgot about all the other folders with multiple objects. :rolleyes:

Like flyrfan111 said about Panda, the same goes for Trend, only worse.

Anyway, I am now giving NOD32 a try. I hang around here at Wilders a lot and keep reading about NOD32 in the NOD32 forum and in this forum. For some reason or another, I was always afraid to give it a try. From what I read, it always seemed too complicated, AMON, IMON, DMON, etc. But I decided to get my feet wet and go for it. I installed the trial version late last night. I followed Blackspears suggestions for configuration. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'll run it a few days and see how it goes. I'll probably be back at the NOD32 forum asking all kinds of questions. :D

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.