The difference between Acronis TI and Norton GoBack?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by jeremywms, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

NO WAY. I wanted to uninstall Shadowsurfer, and I gone long enough that a rollback with FDISR, would have changed too many other things. It was "easier" to uninstall SS....I think.

Pete

Would never give up FDISR. Kinda like a fighter pilot giving up a parachute.:D

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Well of course an image/backup has to be stored somewhere. But in keeping with good backup principals, it should be kept on an external/removable hard drive (or removable media such as mag tape or DVD). As you know, most (if not all) system restore programs require their 'snapshots' be kept on the system (C) drive, so with only a system restore solution, should your system drive crash, or if your PC burns-up or is stolen, you are SOL. The point is that it's where the backup/image/snapshot exists that is important - and if it has to be on an internal hard drive, the C-drive is definitely the worst place of all!

Cheers. ~pv

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

True, that was one thing that I did not like about GoBack, the need to keep the Goback bin on the c:drive. BTW, FirstDefense gives you the option of keeping their Snapshots on another drive. I believe that either RestoreIt and Rollback RX does too, but I forget which one gives you that option.

Acadia

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If we all start using FDISR, then we have no experience with ShadowUser (SU).
    As far as I know not many members use SU. The polls of AV's had many replies, while the polls of SU were very poor.
    I consider SU as a personal experiment and in my case, I have to learn partitioning and image backup first.
    So SU will be last, but I'm not in a hurry, because malwares won't run away. LOL

I'm not against FDISR and FDISR is on my list as possible alternative, just like DeepFreeze and others.
    I'm not blinded by SU either. No software is able to do this to me. I'm too sarcastic and I don't trust any software, not even the goodwares.
    I only want to play with SU for awhile until I know, what I need to know and that will cost me $70. SU will never be a bad investment, because I still can use it as an additional protection.

I find using SU alot more interesting, than pressing the scan/remove-button of a scanner and I like to see this with my own eyes, what kind of difficulties SU will cause on my computer, rather than reading posts about SU, BUT I will share my experiences and ask for help at Wilders, if necessary.

In fact, I expect even more troubles with goodwares, than with badwares, because I have to keep the GOOD changes on my harddisk.
    So I will learn alot more about my computer with SU, than with a scanner.
    These blacklist scanners bore me and I certainly don't like the philosophy behind these scanners. I don't hate scanners, but I don't consider them as a good method to fight against the bad guys. Wrong strategy. :)

5. Peter2150

Erik

You seem to want to experiment and thats fine. I made my recommendation with the assumption that the person wanted reliability. There are always two issues, the software, and the organization behind it.

For reliability I think FDISR wins hands down, thats why I recommended it.
    I now have ShadowSurfer on my machine and it does it's job fine. I tried ShadowUser, and didn't like it. But organizationally Shadowstor is indeed a shadow. As of this moment after what I went thru with their screwy order page, no way would I actually try and give them money. Plus I've never actually gotten any response from them. Poor poor service.

So while your experiment indeed will be interesting, if someone wants total reliablity I would still say stay away.

Pete

6. ErikAlbert

I fully agree with you, but SU does more than just taking and restoring snapshots.
    SU is also more vulnerable, than FDISR, because it is used all the time, while FDISR is only used when you need it.
    SU requires only a simple reboot and that is important for me, while FDISR has its own specific procedure.

That's a real problem. I've send an email to ShadowStor more than a week ago and they still didn't reply.
    Their website isn't good either, at least not for less-knowledgeable users. The posts at Wilders explain SU much better than ShadowStor.
    It makes you believe,
    - they don't care about home users OR
    - their management is simply bad OR
    - their software wasn't successfull enough and they lost their enthousiasm.
    There was a time, the service was better.
    But it will take several months before I start using SU, meanwhile I have time enough to find out what's wrong with ShadowStor.

The whole thing is an experiment, security is a hobby for me and some hobbies cost money and I need a challenge to stay awake.
    Running a scanner isn't my idea of challenge and excitement LOL.

$70 isn't exactly a fortune and a good dinner in a restaurant costs me more.
    If it was money of somebody else, I would care, but it's MY money.

7. Peter2150

Hi Erik

This isn't quite true. If all you want to do is work, surf, do whatever, and then "at the end of the day" put the system back pristine, then all you need is Shadow Surfer. But with Shadow User things get a bit more complicated.

For example if you install something you aren't sure you want to keep, and need to reboot, then you need to turn on persistence mode so you reboot into the shadow. I played with this and found it a bit confusing. Then if you decide you like it you have to commit it to the main disk when you reboot. This where I found things quite confusing.

With FDISR I just boot to my secondary snapshot, can do an install and reboot. I can go back and forth between snapshots, and finally when I make a decision , and can either keep the new stuff or not.

In doing your experiment, besure of your objective. If it is to test Shadow User then that is one thing. But it is to test the concept of security with just this type of program, thats different, and there I'd say be sure you are picking the best software. Personally if it were me trying it I'd trust FDISR, but from my experience with the trial of ShadowUser, I have some grave doubts about using it for that purpose.

Pete

8. ErikAlbert

Pete,
    I will try them both in trial mode and compare both procedures to restore my system.
    I can't make a decision yet, because I never worked with any of them and they all work differently.
    So anything is possible : ShadowUser, FDISR, DeepFreeze, ...

One thing is sure, if ShadowStor keeps its mouth shut and doesn't answer my questions, I will ditch them immediately. I'm not going to beg for help. That's not my style.
    Personally, I consider this as an insult, not answering my questions.
    My first email had no reply, if the third email isn't answered, I won't even try their software.
    No support = no ShadowUser and no ShadowSurfer either.
    After all there are other possibilities.

Things will be very different, once I start using my new computer.
    I will have winXPproSP2 (32-bit/64-bit) on a very fast computer, ready for multi-tasking, partitioning and image backup on another harddisk.

But I want to get rid of the blacklist softwares, even when I have to restore my system several times per day.
    I'm not planning to use 30+ softwares to protect my computer, like some members do. :)

9. Peter2150

Hi Erik

I've been playing with Shadow Surfer and it has a place in my scheme, but I still rely most heavily on FDISR.

See I've gotten spoiled by the Raxco folks. Since I can call anywhere in the US, I just call them, get thru to techsupport, and get immediate help. Initially I did it by email and got reasonably good response time. Plus since I own two of their products, when I got my second machine, and asked if I could get a deal on the second round. The instantly gave me a coupon for a significant discount, which I used online, and had the order done in 5 minutes.

This is the standard, and so far ShadowStor the company hasn't cut it. It is a shame as they seem to have good products.

Pete

PS I've been watching to see when their imaging program would be ready, and I see it now is. Unfortunately at this point, I don't think I'd try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.