the difference among wmware, shadow user, deep freeze, etc.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by daniu, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniu

daniu Registered Member

excuse my ignorance, but why to use shadow user, deep freeze, etc and not (for free)
    vmware player?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Why not use both?
    VMware Player for testing software conveniently, for secure browsing uf you like. ShadowUser for preventing permanent changes to your system. While using VMware, you can and may install things on your PC. When using ShadowUser you may decide if to keep changes.
    The main difference is in the level of virtualization. VMware runs on your system and hosts a guest OS. ShadowUser runs in front of your system, as a sandbox.
    Use them both.
    Mrk

3. daniu

daniu Registered Member

Excuse again, but if I delete the virtual disk created by vmware player, I have not installed anything on real hd, or is it not so? Sorry for my not understanding.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Correct.
    Virtual disks (.vmdk) are only files. They can be rather big files - 10-100Gb or anything, but still only files. Delete them, and poof they're gone.
    VMware Player is software that needs to be installed. But gues OSes you run it are just files - like any document you open in a word processor or so.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.