The death of Symantec here is official

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bradtech, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Purchase Order Approved for 2,000 additional licenses of ESET NOD32 Client/Server, 50 Linux,Solaris,BSD licenses, 100 additional Exchange mailbox licenses.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Congrats! You will enjoy having NOD on your network over Symantec.

We've transitioned lots of business in a similar manner. All with positive results

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Um, okay. I guess you're happy which is good. :thumb:

4. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Yes I am the one who has got rid of Symantec here.. I pushed for NOD32..

5. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Good luck!!

6. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

You can go home after you complete the migration. :D

7. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Doing a Novell to AD migration
    Host on Demand to Attachmate
    Notes to Exchange
    Symantec/Mcafee to NOD32
    Blackberry to Windows Mobile
    Physical servers to Virtual

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

:thumb: Nice! I hate B-berry's...

9. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Symantec, Nice job..it died a long time ago for me :)

10. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Good for you...

11. nmadani

nmadani Registered Member

Good for you. but don't discount Symantec quite yet as they have really come out swinging with their 2009 product line rewrites. I had once sworn to never, ever use anything produced by Symantec but in view of more recent reviews, we did the opposite:

There were way too many 100% CPU usage problems with NOD32, Now I have to concede that everyone is happy using Symantec, and CPU and memory resource usage is significantly lower, and most importantly, no more end-user complaints. Had ESET fixed the CPU issue, we'd have renewed. Unfortunately, the whole affair turned embarrassing for me as a NOD32 advocate.

12. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Indeed, IF ESET does not address and/or improve their 100% CPU Spikes and if/when Symantec ports the 2009 NAV engine re-write to their ENDPOINT solution then I would be worried about the future of ESET, once more IT proffs get educated about the re-written product.

There is still time for ESET to get things right, since so far ENDPOINT solution is still a PIG so ESET can improve. But looks like the issues of 3.0 and what kept me from 3.0 are still in 4.0, so they had a year to improve and a whole new version to show for it and so far nada.

So ESET if you want to remain the "LIGHT LOW FOOTPRINT high Detection AV" then please address those issues.
    Of course you can argue that the user could disable AH altogether, but then you will SEVERELY cripple the AV, the ESET definitions are not up to par with other MAJOR vendours, it's AH that keeps it afloat, if you take AH out of the equation then ESET would not compare in the top 10. AT least from all the research I've done and the independent detection reviews I looked at.

13. bradtech

bradtech Guest

By no means do I count them out at all.. I have been very impressed with their 2009 line, but most of those features have not been introduced into their corporate edition.. NAV 2009 has been very impressive imo.

14. nmadani

nmadani Registered Member

I personally started to use NAV 2009 at home, but I was comparing to the corporate edition for work. I guess everything is relative. As far as NAV 2009 is concerned, there is no competition anymore and ESET needs to get back to the version 2.7 performance stats to even come close.

15. ctrl

ctrl Registered Member

After reading all the positive reviews about norton antivirus 2009, i installed it on a p3 256mb machine, do you want to know the performance ? It was slow very slow compared to nod32 v3.

Symnatec, huh ! rest in peace. :p

16. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I been using NAV 2009, Nod32 v3/v4 in addition to several other AV software and find most of them to work pretty good. I do not have such a old computer with a P3, but on newer computers i don't find NAV 2009 to be that slow at all. NAV seems to be much faster with the updates of signatures though...even during weekends where Eset normally have few updates. Also i read several tests and seems like most of them favor NAV 2009 with regards to detection rate compared to nod32. Some of those tests that include a speed rating also rate both NAV 2009 and nod32 as "fast". In addition Eset made several mistakes with their signatures with false positives lately.

Maybe nod32 is a bit faster....i don't know, but my opinion is that the difference is minor if any at all. If you look at the quality of the products in general though i'm not convinced nod32 is better at the moment.

17. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I found V3 to run slow on a P3 450mhz with 256 MB. V2 2.5 runs good though.

18. ctrl

ctrl Registered Member

Nod32 is faster than NAV 2009 , nav needs atleast 256 mb , whereas nod32 needs only 128 mb . Also nod32 v3 is running faster on a old p3 733mhz 256 mb machine compared to nav 2009, so nod is definitely faster, v2 is even faster.

And yes on a fast machine it is hardly noticeable. Nothing is faster than Nod at the moment. ;)

The only thing about nod is the cpu spikes, i don't care about memory . I am sure they will fix it in the future. :)

19. ctrl

ctrl Registered Member

I have to say v2 is the fastest one will find till date, and i hope they keep giving updates for v2 until some faster version comes out.

20. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Excellent choice.. look forward to many years of great products from ESET... NOT !! :rolleyes:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1424190#post1424190

ESET's products have gone into the gutter. Unstable, buggy, detection rates have dropped. you name it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Congratulations are in order.

Although i fancy right now Avira my MAIN! AV that i depended on for some time now is strickly NOD!!! :thumb:

A Premium Leader!!

EASTER

22. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

We're in the opposite camp. Nod32 2.5 & 2.7 were excellent. We have been with Nod32 for some time now. But 3.0 is horrible. We are currently migrating from Nod32 to Norton ESS and have found it not to cause as many issues as Nod32 is causing. I've reported bugs to support, but they remain in the product. Nod32 runs a FULL in depth system scan each reboot and at each user logon on many of my PCs. That's not what the policy is configured to do, but that is what it does and it kills logons and performance. Same policy applied to about 400 PC's and some run the right startup scan, some don't. In the RA you can't delete exceptions - it doesn't stick.

We're not down and out on Nod32 yet. We have until September, when most our Nod32 licenses will expire. If Nod32 4.0 fixes the issues that haunt me in 3.0, I can see us keeping it. As people btch and moan about the performance issues in 3.0, I move them to ESS and they are happy. I've been against NAV for years. But this new product is really nice.

23. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I have not experienced much performance hits, or logon startups being delayed. I got into the game with 3.0.672 here, updated to 684, and now to 4.0.314. I still have some servers that are mission critical running 3.0.672 that I won't touch for a while.

The policies I push out for exceptions are in fact being inherited by the clients because I have checked. Do you have the GPO option for unsoliciated traffic from your EAV server pushing out?

24. bodean

bodean Registered Member

Death to symantec, eh?

Might be ditching NOD 32 for symantec. The lack of support, or ESET admitting there are problems/issues with 4.0, and giving a canned response to any problem reported with "Uninstall/Reinstall" is getting a tad bit old.

25. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

ESET are not admitting there aren't problems, you just assumed that because you didn't get a reply on a forum. Why don't you read the amount of problems Symantec support has been creating before you go spewing nonsense, oh thats right you will probably need to pay for a support engineer to use a free tool LOL, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.