The Carnivore is on the prowl!

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Paul Wilders, Jul 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Guard the frontiers of your enterprise from the brainchild of the FBI, Carnivore, an e-mail monitoring device now renamed DCS-1000. Carnivore is actually a part of the DragonWare Suite, which allows FBI to reconstruct e-mail messages, downloaded files and even WebPages. Read on to find out more about the e-mail version of the telephone wiretap:

www.ciol.com/content/news/trends/102070401.asp

regards,

paul

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi Paul! The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop-up the drain! What's the difference between DCS-1000 and any of the illegal spyware programs we've been dealing with so far? What has been the government's track record with special apps to date? (Please read these questions as dripping with sarcasm and wicked mirth!)

This reminds me of a song that my younger sister used to play over and over and over...

We've only just begun...? (and to think that song was written for a Bank Commercial!)

Oh, yes. This is very serious (seriously) but I've always figured that Cops and Robbers were playing the same game from different positions. Security Pros get to deal with all the players!

3. Paul Wilders

Hey there, PS!

Serious indeed. If only all the players sec pros included - had access to the same means, power, control and influence. GOVs have the aces - all others the minor cards. No reason at all to quit fighting, though ;).

regards,

paul

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

DCS-1000 eh? I wonder if Diamond Computer Systems will be accused of spying by people who don't know about Carnivore?

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Anyone happen to know what THEIR DCS stands for?

"Damn Chicken Spies"?

Seriously, did they just mke up "DCS" for their uses or does it have some meaning? I didn't catch one in the article.

6. Prince_Serendip

Hey! Hey! Doesn't Diamond Computer Sytems have a worldwide copyright/registered trademark on "DCS?" If they do, I'd say that Carnivore may get it's old name back, eh? They haven't even got out the door and already they are in trouble! LOL! :D

(Psst...Shouldn't someone tell Wayne or Gavin?)

7. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

http://www.google.ca/search?q=DCS&btn=Google+Search&meta=

looks like there are alot of DCSs out there.

8. Prince_Serendip

:D Oh, I get it! Carnivore aka DCS-1000 is made by Dynamic Cooking Systems? Sounds like a kind of barbie doesn't it? Let's hope we don't all get roasted! :D

9. Rickster

Rickster Guest

DCS stands for Data Collection System(s)... ;)

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I guess there's lots of "data collection systems" out there these days as well :doubt:

11. root

root Registered Member

I wonder how many people really know that this stuff exists? I wonder how many of them understand how dreadfully serious this is?
    Mass ignorance is the friend of the intelligence gathering community and they do a good job of keeping it intact.
    Big brother is definitely coming. He's just a little late. :mad:

12. Paul Wilders

root,

I wonder. Probably we are a "little late" noticing the existance :rolleyes:

regards,

paul

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Basically, the only thing that's preserving any shred of our privacy right now is the fact that the government (or M$, for that matter) can't properly handle (correlate) all the information they're already collecting - but they will. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.