The Boys' brigade in Singapore 75th anniversary tomorrow!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by nadirah, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Attached Files:

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I bet that prayer week would kick ass

and allways love a beach party...

have fun !!!!!!!!

p.s. what is a boys brigade? please explain to avoid confusion :D

3. Infinity

I looked it up, It sure is quite nice, friends all together for the same cause

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

http://www.boys-brigade.org.uk/aboutus/history.htm
    www.bb.org.sg

HISTORY OF THE BOYS' BRIGADE

A brief history of the BB follows below, focusing on the early years of the BB. You can also read more detail about the BB's history in "First for Boys", the History of the BB prepared for the centenary in 1983, which is also available online.

Founding of the BB

| Founding of the BB | The Founder | Early Years of the BB |

William Smith had started as a a teacher in the Sabbath School which was held in the mission hall, where he found that the older boys were bored and restless. They were suspicious of teachers who told them to sit still, make less noise, and generally behave themselves - in short, they were typical teenagers! He compared this with the time he spent on a Saturday afternoon, as a Lieutenant with the volunteers, when he had no difficulty in making a hundred men obey his every word of command on the nearby drill ground.

It was then he had his idea: 'Drill and Discipline'. Why not turn the Sabbath School boys into a volunteer band or brigade, with the same military order, obedience, discipline and self-respect as the volunteers? A programme combining games as well as discipline, gymnastics and sport as well as hymns and prayers would appeal to the boys. William Smith planned the programme for this new idea with two friends, and on the 4th October 1883 the three leaders invited the boys of North Woodside Mission Sabbath School to join The Boys' Brigade.

http://www.boys-brigade.org.uk/aboutus/img/oanchor.gif
    The new organisation's badge was an anchor, and the motto 'Sure and Stedfast'. This was taken from the Authorised Version of the Bible, from the Epistle to the Hebrews, chapter 6, verse 19: 'Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast'. The Object was also quite clear from the beginning:
    "The advancement of Christ's Kingdom among Boys and the promotion of habits of Reverence, Discipline, Self-Respect, and all that tends towards a true Christian Manliness." ​
    (The word Obedience was added some ten years later).

For the first year the Boys only wore a Rosette as a badge, and the officers wore the civilian bowler hat. The following year the Cap, Belt, and haversack were brought together as the first complete uniform. The Pill-box in common use during these days had no chin-strap and fitted close to the head, but it had two distinguished rows of white braid worn at a jaunty angle. Soon afterwards the proper pill-box was brought in and the officers turned to the Glengarry for their headgear.

5. Infinity

Thanx Nadirah, sounds OK, I bet it is too!

6. dog

dog Guest

I Hope You Have Lots of Fun, Nadirah.

Enjoy & Be Safe

Steve

7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I was previously in the boys brigade however left a while ago. My grandfather was also in the boys brigade when he was a child but was thrown out after a week.

Jimbob

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Sounds like a bit of a Family trait you've got going there Jim....... :D :rolleyes: Glad to see your keeping up the Old Family tradition.......

Cochise, :cool:

9. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Thanks for that one. I assume Big Buck is asleep by now. Probably more to come.

Play on, big ed

10. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Wasn't drinking coffee at the time? :D

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.