The Blackphone is here

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Feb 24, 2014.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. lotuseclat79

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Paranoia definition...

Did Nate ever hear of Snowden or is his IQ very low and he cannot comprehend the full meaning of the word paranoia.

4. mlauzon

mlauzon Registered Member

If it had expandable storage, then it'd be worth it.

5. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

looks interesting but would much rather have the Blackphone's PrivatOS and then have the choice to stick on any android phone...

No one going to pay $600+ when you can pick up a moto g with similar specs for under $200 etc

6. Less

Less Registered Member

abit expensive...:D :D

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

8. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Talk about overpriced. Would be nice if you could put the OS on an Android phone with unlocked bootloader

9. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

If you could somehow get the proprietary drivers for your device, you probably could. That's always the sticking point for devices - the drivers for the Qualcomm Wifi, etc... That's why each Nexus device has it's own build, and not just a universal AOSP image: device drivers.

10. lotuseclat79

11. lotuseclat79

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Wow! It's really overpriced. I don't know how they will sell this expensive phone for the privacy that it provides.:doubt:

13. lotuseclat79

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Indeed overpriced. So far the only unique feature I see is a granular system for revoking app permissions built-in, so you don't need Root.

15. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Not sure exactly what hardware they're using, but $629 isn't outrageous, IMO. Go price retail on most upper tier phones, and they are $500-$700 for just the hardware, no add-on services or customizations.

If I didn't know how to "Blackify" my Nexus, I'd buy it. I paid $550 for my old Nexus S, from Negri, a few years ago.

16. lotuseclat79

17. lotuseclat79

Is the Blackphone the ultimate mobile for privacy?.

-- Tom

18. lotuseclat79

19. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

20. elapsed

I'd be highly worried if none were found. These issues being found and fixed is progress, it will shrink over time. These aren't actually exploits, they are design oversights that are being fixed.

21. WeAreAllHacked

WeAreAllHacked Registered Member

If they were serious about privacy they wouldn't add two cameras (at least they would make them "mechanically blocked" by default).

I think they want to sell a lot and use privacy as a marketing tool to do so. But I don't think they are sincere about really making this thing private or secure.

22. elapsed

Yes because we all know that if something can be used for a malicious purpose it shouldn't be included at all. Oh wait...

23. WeAreAllHacked

WeAreAllHacked Registered Member

Depends on what you want, I thought the main goal with this phone was a decent level of privacy but maybe I understand this phones goal wrong, did they market it as the next image sharing hub? The first thing they slap on this privacy caring phone is two cameras so you got that 360 degree coverage, one that always can photo your face while the other will be pointed and give away the room/place you are in and who you are hanging out with. Is it some sort of joke?

It would be more than naive thinking this massive OS is without holes, is there anything that points to that? (and with phones its often, one hole to rule all of this model) Those cameras will be hacked for sure (maybe not publicly..), one can choose to view this as an issue or not. Personally I don't think they are very sincere about privacy and won't be supporting this project due to that. I base this on a lot of things (not just it having two cameras) but I don't want to go wall of text style today.

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I agree that two cameras isn't really privacy friendly, but on the other hand, you device needs to be compromised before that can be abused. If it is compromised, anything else you do on the device is no longer private anyway.

25. fjear

fjear Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.