The best free security setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Scoobs, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That is exactly the problem. :D

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

This is highly recommended. This allows you to have separate backups for your system and your data, and also allows you to use Returnil without using a Returnil virtual partition for data. If your system ever becomes corrupted, you can restore the system partition without overwriting your data partition.

3. ErikAlbert

I agree with MrBrian. That's the first thing I did, separating system from data.
    That gives you total freedom in your system partition, while your data remains intact and it simplifies the backup/restore of course.
    Almost every malware targets [C:], because most computers have only one big partition [C:] with everything on it.

In case of a destructive attack on [C:], you can lose your data of today if on [C:], because your image/file backup is always of yesterday. If your data is another partition than [C:], you still have your data of today.
    Another solution is incremental backups, but not everybody likes them. :)

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

So just how is this accomplished from an XP install disk? Is there a prompt someplace duting install procedure that affords the user an option of setting say My Documents over to the other partition or hard drive? Or is this something needs done after the full install is complete? Maybe with third party tools?

I know quite a lot about in the trenches combat against malware and defense startegies but when it comes to these type matters i admit that i don't have a clue, thats why i rely on the best HIPS and other safety apps like returnil to keep everything stationary during internet runs around the bases of the web.

5. ErikAlbert

If you really want to move "My Documents" :
    1. Right click on "My Documents"
    2. Click on Properties
    3. Change the target
    I never tried it, but it should work in practice.

I didn't move anything, I left my system partition as it was and created my own folders on my data partition, but I'm the only user on my pc.
    The most sensational and EASY move I've ever seen was with nLite. This allows you to move the entire folder "C:\Documents and Settings" to [D:]

6. MrBrian

When you install XP you can create partitions. If you've already installed XP, you could try Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management, but I think you cannot shrink existing partitions with this program. Other free programs that can shrink existing partitions include gparted and Partition Logic. See http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/partitioneditors.shtml for other choices. For pay programs, PartitionMagic is an option.

You can use TweakUI to relocate special folders, such as My Documents and (Internet Explorer) Favorites. For other programs, there might be a way to manually relocate the data to the data partition.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I've read this repeated many times but was not so convinced and that might have to do with my excellent backup programs/images, but it is something worthwhile and is been explained for purpose and detail so i may just try that soon myself.

The best free security setup.

That's a hard one because there are so many good ones, but i would always recommend at least 3 and they would include the likes of SAS, Returnil, SuRun, HIPS, etc and i could mention some more FREE ones but their listed all over these forums with really informative in-depth discussions according what the users habits are and what they have in mind, severe layered approaches, combos with LUA/SRP's and so forth.

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I did it like this after install :-

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder

To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then point to My Documents.

Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties. Click the Target tab. In the Target box, do one of the following:

Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK . For example, D:\My Stuff . If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.

-or-

Click Move , click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice. If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.

Restore the My Documents Folder to Its Default Location

To restore the My Documents folder to its default location, follow these steps:

Click Start , and then point to My Documents. Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties. Click Restore Default, and then click OK. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.

9. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Thanks for this.

I am wondering how this is set up. Is it really a case that you just move My Documents into another partition and then just make sure to save files there only?

Also, Returnil sounds great, and I'm going to have a play, but is there a way to have it create "restore points"? (Could System restore do this instead?)

What I have in mind is being able to go back through restore points until you find the most recent safe point.

Sorry if I'm reinventing the wheel. I'm fairly new to all this and I'm not too sure where to start looking for info.

10. HURST

HURST Registered Member

For "restore points", incremental backups come to my mind, but maybe there's another option...

11. ErikAlbert

Personally, I didn't like restore points as solution, because I have to choose between different restore points
    and that means that I have to choose between different system partitions.
    So the crucial question is : which one of all these restore points is a good and safe one ?
    If you don't know for certain, your choice = gambling and you don't gamble with security.

A smart average user will always go to the FIRST restore point, the one he created himself, because he doesn't know for sure what happened between all these different restore points.

That's why I always rollback to my original fresh installed system partition.
    In other words, I replaced all questionable restore points with only ONE restore point, the right one, the safe one.
    Pure simple logical reasoning, if you think I'm wrong, break it, I'm all ears. :)

12. MrBrian

The My Documents move was in fact simple to do. You can use TweakUI to move special folders like this, or use the technique mentioned by others here. It is a simple change and works well. My Documents is a pseudo folder, not a real folder, and that's why this move is easy to do and effective.

For other programs that save data, you'll have to manually go into the programs' settings and change the folder location yourself. For example, I put my Opera browser's profile, including bookmarks, in the data partition. Other candidates to do this for would include your email program's data. Other items that I have in my data partition include a folder for downloads and a Temp folder. I don't bother to try to move program settings data to the data partition, as this data can be commingled in various places in the system partition.

For restore points, you can manage these as you normally would when Returnil protection is off. (If you do it with Returnil protection on, the changes will be lost upon reboot.) If you need a free backup program, try DriveImage XML.

13. MrBrian

Another nice advantage of having a separate data partition is that when you move to a new operating system, it's easy to bring your data along with you :).

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for the tips on moving the documents folder off the active system area to another partition or drive.

I regulary jockey drives so i assume there would be no ill after affects when adding a new slave drive and just repeat those steps again. Am i correct in this?

15. MrBrian

I don't think there should be a problem. If you plan to keep the data partition on a separate drive, maybe it's best to make sure that the 'good drives' are always swapped in or out as a set.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  16. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Another option is to avoid My Documents altogether, and just create a data partition (or separate drive) with directories and sub-directories for all of your documents.

----
    rich

17. ErikAlbert

That's what I did. I have a second harddisk/partition [D:], which contains all my personal files organized in folders.
    DefenseWall locks [D:], when I open Firefox to surf on the internet.

I didn't move anything from my system to data partition.
    The folder "My Documents" on my system partition has still 2 files to give malware and hackers the idea, I'm working there and that I'm very vulnerable. It's pure psychological. :)

18. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, this guide was what I used to move My Documents to a new partition. It was my first time and if I can do it, anyone can ;). http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=49222

Scoobs,
    For AdBlockPlus, in addition to EasyList, you might consider EasyElement and ABP Tracking Filter.

I had a pile of programs like you did at one time. I have whittled my way down to Sandboxie, Online Armor (full without AV) and Avira Premium as my only active/real time protection. I sometimes call on Returnil via Session Lock when I'm doing some rough surfing. Returnil is also handy trying programs that don't need a reboot to install and to try other things.

I still keep a couple of on-demand scanners around to check files I download. I also have another hard drive that I store backups on in the event something goes wrong. It is also important to keep your important programs up to date. See my sig. for a good place to scan if you have any vulnerable applications. It probably a good idea to check at least once a month.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

Edit: Have a look at this post for good basic info. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=206805

19. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I don't understand why everyone wants to move my documents etc. folders. I don't even want to use those. I just build my own folder structure to other partition and use that. Of course many programs want to use my documents folder but usually you can change that setting if needed.

20. ErikAlbert

You are right of course. I've done the same thing. Maybe only Europeans do that . ;)

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah i see your point on that MikeNAS, i usually don't bother because i only keep security utilities there anyway, my cherished Sci-Fi FLV's i always move to another partition, don't want to lost those classics.

But then i never encountered malware anyway that focused on my Data Folder anyway, usually they like to slip a dropper in C: or else go for the open %WinDir% or System32.

BTW, i'm right now getting a Comdo D+ Update in progress for any who use that one. 48% and counting..................

22. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I think that may be the reason. Most of us non-Europeans usually save things in My Documents :D. I'm trying to keep things simple :p.

So, is there a good reason not to move My Documents to another partition?

23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

No there is a reason to move,at the time that imaging was heavily discussed,general consences was that keeping your C partition as small as possible because it makes up for faster imaging times. My documents can pile up fast so what many at that time did was migrating this folder to an another partition and secured this folder with an simple replication program,like Karen Replicator to an external or second internal drive.

btw. common sense is global !;)

24. ErikAlbert

Yes, but those are the reasons for separating system and data.
    But some users move folders from C to D, while other users don't move folders from C to D, they leave C untouched and create a new set of folders on D.
    That was the subject.

25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

O yea gosh, forget about that,lessening the changes to be compromised by sneaky stuff,good reason.good measure ! :thumb:

BTW if i remember right,encrypting your D did'nt much against malware. right ?

but then again you may say that my remarks are out of context,never mind me but beware and correct me if i say really stupid things !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.