The best antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kloshar, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noname9

noname9 Guest

@tempnexus

If Kaspersky & clones are too slow for you ... why not using NOD32 in connection with a dedicated memory scanner (for the detection of trojans)? You will need an additional trojan scanner because NOD32's main strength is the detection of replicating ITW malware.

2. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm a KAV user - how much of a concern is this cracking of KAV's signatures? Sounds like a worry.

3. noname9

noname9 Guest

@mvdu

You are right. There is a tool which helps to reveal a major part of KAV's signature database. Not only KAV is affected but also many KAV clones like F-Secure. If you know the signature it is quite easy to create modified trojans, worms etc which cannot be detected anymore (by KAV & clones).

Therefore, you should not use KAV as your only scanner. It makes a lot of sense to use an additional trojan (memory) scanner. You may even consider to use a third on-demand (file) scanner. For example, you can easily extract a fully-functional McAfee scanner (command line version) from a each McAfee superdat file. There is a topic @ Rokop Security called "McAfee Light" that explains how to prepare the McAfee command line scanner so that it can be used in a comfortable manner. Moreover, it seems that this McAfee version comes for free ...

4. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Fortunately, I use BOClean for a resident AT and TrojanHunter and BitDefender for on-demand scanners. I guess there is no need to change from KAV, then?

5. noname9

noname9 Guest

@mvdu

Since most, if not all, scanners (including BOClean, Trojan Hunter & BitDefender) have blatant weaknesses it is exactly the right strategy to use as many different scanners as possible. This will make it more difficult for an attacker to make well-known malware undetected.

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks for the response again - is BitDefender a good backup AV to use, or can I do better? I prefer that my backup be free.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Bitdefender free makes a pretty good backup. It seems to update almost every day.

8. demoman

demoman Guest

LOL i know that f-secure working with KAV but i saw many times virus detected by f-secure and mised by KAV.

Also on www.virus.gr there are f-secure better than KAV for 1.2% and it is 508 viruses more than KAV of 50795 tested.

Also f-secure is old company which used f-prot engine too but always was better than f-prot.

9. wizard

wizard Registered Member

And how many out of these 508 viruses are really ITW viruses or at least how many of these are running under a modern Windows operating system? I guess the majority if not all of these 508 viruses is just really old crappy DOS viruses.

I personally think those small number of zoo-malware that F-Secure detects more doesn't really matter in real life.

wizard

10. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

Why can't F-secure delete zip file? It says that infected virus is in archive, so can't be deleted.

11. steve1955

steve1955 Guest

nonames post about KAV being cracked is the 1st I have heard/read of it anywhere,it just shows how easy it is to start a rumour about a product that you perhaps dont like and then let other peoples paranoia take over

12. noname9

noname9 Guest

Steve,

the tool is called SennaSpy's "AVP Offset" and it has been released a long time ago.

My post has nothing to do with paranoia and I have nothing against KAV.

It does not make sense that most hackers know about AVP Offset while many customers (like you) are completely innocent.

In summary, you need more than one scanner (even if you use KAV).

13. foxsteve

foxsteve Registered Member

I use F-Secure + Hack Tracer on W2k Server machine a few years. F-Secure is updated automatically, Hack Tracer not. This machine is connected to internet through ZAP firewall and protected by Uninstall Manager and other utilities. This machine has not being infected by the viruses, but catches spyware with cookies.
    The second machine Win XP Pro is protected by router, KAV and Uninstall Manager. ZAP is installed, but disabled - it is not necessity to use. This PC catches spyware with cookies only.
    The third machine Win XP Pro is used for VPN and is protected by KAV and ZAP. It catches spyware with cookies, but one time it has caught Walsh.
    Linux Red Hat and Mandrake machines protected the router only, but do not bother me - they are protected enough.

14. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

So your saying after 2-3 years this supposed flaw hasn't been fixed?

15. steve1955

steve1955 Guest

I suggest you have a look here:-
    http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=401fd4a2350effff;act=ST;f=1;t=291

16. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Why don't you tell us, Mr. Smiley Face?

17. nameless

Will KAV detect Armadillo-wrapped malware if the KAV real-time monitor has memory scanning enabled?

Will any other AV utility detect Armadillo-wrapped malware?
    (And if so, which one(s))?

Do you know of any cases where Armadillo was actually used by some malware, or is this just a theoretical possibility?

18. ntl

ntl Guest

McAfee does. But only to the extent it uses weak signatures taken from the resource section.

BOClean does. But I need to perform additional tests in order to make sure that BOClean does not use any tricks ;-)

KAV 4.5 monitor (mem scanning enabled) will not detect Armadillo 2.85-3.60 protected malware.

A cracked version of Armadillo was made available for download in a trojan board. That's why I assume that someone will use it ...

19. kress haynes

kress haynes Guest

http://www.livepublishing.co.uk/pcutilities/pcu43.shtml
    Is where i read this at. ( i bought the magizine)

In a head to head test of 48 anti-virus and trogen cleaner products

only f-secure was effective enough for me to consider useful 58,000

trogens, known (& unknown) virus's were run on 48 anti-virus and

trogen cleaner products. i dont remember what all the results were,

but f-secure caught 99.68% and was the best. i do remember norton

was in 7th place with a bit better than 92% effectivness. McAfee

placed 4th with 96.??%. it was a very thourough and convincing test

bed and a serious eye opener for me as i had been recommending

norton to my customers ( i have a computer repair business ) .

#1 was F-secure
    #2 was (forgot) i think kaspersky
    #3 was called Panda somthing
    #4 mcaffy
    #5 forgot
    #6 forgot
    #7 norton
    #s 8-48 who cares.

hope this helps !

again the link to purchase the info i read is at,
    http://www.livepublishing.co.uk/pcutilities/pcu43.shtml

20. kloshar

21. nameless

Both of the above two posts mention anti-virus application testing. Tests like that are a very hotly-debated issue. The main point made by detractors is that the samples included are very often non-ITW malware.

22. kloshar

I think one of the best av softwares is Panda Titanium. It can delete lot of files.

23. kloshar

And which antivirus cost the least?

24. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

I also think F-Secure is the best. Panda is pretty good, too.

25. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Define "costs" ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.