The best antivirus!!!!???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dah145, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

I want to know a few opinions and facts about some of the best antivirus poducts, these are:

Kaspersky Internet Security 6

NOD32

Bitdefender 10 beta

AVK (AntiVirenKit)

Please I am open to suggestions, please attach the links of where you get the information.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi dah145, welcome to Wilders.

As your thread relates to comparing Antivirus programs I have shifted it here where it should receive better attention.

Cheers :D

3. mgaidia

mgaidia Registered Member

if u have a good coputer hardware then kav is the best ;)

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

KAV offers the best signature-based detection but like mgaidia said u need a damn good computer to run it smoothly.

nod32 offer great heuristics and runs very light. its gui may be alien to new users but Blackspear's guide can help u set nod32 up for best protection.

BitDefender is kinda between the two. it has pretty good detection rates, some heuristics (HIVE), and it doesnt slow down ur comp so much.

AVK uses both teh KAV and BitDefender engines and is heavier than KAV. plus its detection isnt much better than KAV either.

5. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

OK, I will stay with Kaspersy, I am an old user of Kaspersky products. :)
    now!
    The heuristic on KAV/KIS 6 is as good as NOD32?

6. WSFuser

KAV's file heuristics arent as good as nod32, but in the latest version 6, it has proactive defense.

it is like an HIPS and it can be quite powerful at detecting/blocking malicious behavior.

7. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

I see:shifty: but also i have noticed that KAV/KIS 6 do not eat too much resources as the people said, not counting the AIC bug.

8. superdookie

superdookie Registered Member

i use AVG, finds all the viruses that i have ever had. really wuick tooooo:D

9. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Why would your computer have viruses if AVG is supposed to be so good and stop all the viruses? o_O

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Let's try to stick the technical question at hand and leave all the now removed goofiness\spell check posts to a more appropriate forum.

Thanks,
    Bubba

11. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Well i would suggest either mcafee or kaspersky for your pc....i own a modest 512mb Ram,1.7Ghz Celeron pc and kaspersky was very very light on my pc almost negligible on resources...
    It(kav) generally takes a long-time scanning the first time,but if you enable "Scan Changed Files Only",it hardly takes 15-20 mins the ssecond time...
    Mcafee has superb detection rate and its has good detections rate,along with now daily-updates feature!!!

12. superdookie

superdookie Registered Member

my system was originally full of viruses but i installed AVG and walla hey presto... all gone

13. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I would say nod32 only because it does not impact your system performance. KAV would also be a excellent choice but it has few complaints of impact on system performance. Finally, it is a difficult choice. Both are excellent antivirus on any given day.

14. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I forgot about the other two :D. bitdefender is also very light but i found that bitdefender is weaker as compare to nod and KAV with respect to spyware and adware. GDATA(KAV+bitdefender) is very good but one cannot oversee its impact on the system .

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what about antivir? i am thinking about getting nod32,antivir ,kaspersky or bitdefender.

I have got a pc with 3200 amd 64bit socket 754 processer wqith 1gb of ram. at mo i have f-secure aqnd it uses up tons of ram so i will soon replace it with one of the above products.

16. Suggers

Suggers Guest

I've got nod32 on my computer, its old so nod is the best choice due to its low resources.

I've got KAV 5 on my laptop, but Im considering changing that to nod32 as well again for the resources/speed issue. All I have ever ran into on the net is Trojan downloaders, and I get the impression, from a variety of sources, that KAV may be slighlty better than nod at detecting trojans and that is the only thing holding me back from changing to nod on my laptop as well.

17. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

Thanx, I will stay with KIS 6. It have a good detection rate and not too much resources use.:)

18. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

I ran trials of both Kaspersky and Nod32 before finally deciding on Kaspersky myself.

Both lived up to their reputations and then some and I liked each of them alot more than Norton. (was a loyal Norton user for years and years)

Can't go wrong with either one of those two in my opinion.

For all the talk about Kaspersky needing a super system to run.... The computer I've got while not being bad by any means, is also far from being a powerhouse and I've had zero issues.

I even put the web anti virus on the max levels, because I don't always practice the safest surfing habits and will admit as much.

Even set on max web protection, as opposed to the middle reccommended section, things still seem to be running quite smoothly, with little to no slow down.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what spec pc do you have?

20. WSFuser

consider yourself lucky. i wish i could do the same because KAV 6 seems very good. heres my specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.54GHz
    Corsair DDR400 512MB
    Western Digital 80GB

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have 3200 64bit socket 754 so the same cpu as you and i have 1gb of ram and i currently use f-secure which uses a lot more ram and cpu than kaspersky so im thinking about trying kaspersy and see how i go

22. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I always seem to find these threads on the late end! :p

If I can get some free time before Christmas, I've got an idea up my sleeve for an article that might be a fun read. I've pulled an old copy of Business Winstone out of my collection and have a ghosted Windows installation burned and ready to go. Anyone up for an article about how the main players affect real-world performance in business applications and games as opposed to cute little numbers in a task manager?

23. WSFuser

id love to see those numbers. which AVs do u plan on testing?

24. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I have Pentium 1,2GHZ and (256+128-64)MB RAM and KIS runs here without problems. It's not so hard to system resources as people believe...

25. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Seeing as how testing is my hobby, I wasn't going to do every one under the sun. I was going to hit the latest versions each of F-Prot, KAV, NOD32, Antivir, Avast, AVG. and maybe one or two others depending on majority consensus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.