The "best" anti-spyware tool

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rommel, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rommel

Rommel Registered Member

Yes, I know that "best" can be described, at best, as a subjective descriptor. But I still want to know what some of you think or claim as the "best" anti-spyware solution. Currently I use a tag team of Ad-Aware Pro SE and Spybot S&D. Are they sufficient and/or are there others that may perform better? Thanks for the information.

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

A combination of adaware & spybot seems to be a generally good combination to find most malware and remove it safely

Some other scanners allege to find more, but some are renowned for false positives

Most of the ones that adawre & spybot don't find need special removal so an experienced tech using HJT or a similar registry examiner will deal with those

The only pay for ones I would consider apart from the paid for version of adaware are pest patrol and webroots spysweeper which might find a fix a few different ones than adaware/spybot but the same applies in reverse some of what adawre finds etc PP & spysweeper miss

This is a personal view and I don't endorse any products and consider the free tools to do just as good a job as the paid for ones

3. spyblocker software for blocking / preventing infection

4. SuperGeek

SuperGeek Guest

I like the combo of

1. Spybot (free)

2. Ad-Aware (free version)

3. SpywareBlaster (free)

4. SpywareGuard (free)

5. X-Cleaner (free version)

6. Spysweeper (free trial)

7. Pest Patrol (You've got to be careful with this one due to many false positives, but i still think it is useful.)

Now this is just for spyware, not other forms of malware. For that i use a few other programs which i won't post 'cause off topic.

As for which is the best of the lot it is really hard to say. I really wouldn't be without any of the one's I listed. I suppose if i had to choose just one it could be Spysweeper, but that would never happen in reality because I like and use them all.

SG

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I use Adaware plus and Spybot keep myself up to date and never had a problem. Not a hang or freeze nothing and they find plenty of stuff to kill.

Happy hunting!! ;)

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I completely agree. ;) I would also throw SpySweeper somewhere in there.

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Posted by dvk01 :
    That's a safe bet Derek (if it's OK to refer to you), a combination of compatible apps, free will certainly work Rommel.

Spybot I use as a standalone scanner along with the special stuff (HJT, CWS, etc.), just in case...
    Some people run it with the tea-timer (active monitor).

Spysweeper's in there for it's anti-keylogger protection (active), thanks dvk01 and D&C for the mention.

GF

8. RohenX

RohenX Guest

this post removed due to being spam for a rogue anti-spyware. See my post in this thread - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2004
  9. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

:eek: This is a rogue anti-spyware product that you're promoting.
    Try Webroot Spy Sweeper or Ad-Aware or Spybot, but not the rogue ones!
    See link in my sig for information about these so called anti-spyware products.

10. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

And another phony "review" site set up by affiliates of junk programs. These are found all over the web and one must be very careful when "review" sites have purchase links with affiliate ID. It's all about ranking the product that pays the most cash in affiliate $$$ with high honors.

Ugh.

John
    Luv2BSecure

edited to remove link to rogue spyware from quote - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2004
  11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

You advertising for "XoftSpy" will have to be done elsewhere, my anonymous friend. I even downloaded the "free scan" just to give the absolute benefit of the doubt - it claimed that I currently have

CoolWebSearch
    CWS.Oslogo
    SaveNow
    SaveNow
    Winpup32
    Winpup32
    Adshoter.SearchForIt
    Alexa
    Marketscore(Netsetter)

and all I have to do is buy the license to clean them!

Hmmm.. how very strange.. My fully up-to-date Ad-Aware SE givesd a totally clean scan, as does Spybot - S&D.... No alerts in TDS3, Trend Housecall online scan absolutely clean... Coincidence? I think not. Deceptive marketing of crapware? (Ad-Aware GUI ripoff BTW) I think so.

Sorry to pull this a bit off topic but I wanted to ensure nobody was fooled by the guest post.

12. luv2bsecure

Bravo!
    Well done, Detox!

John
    Luv2BSecure

13. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

All the supposedly bad files it found will be the activeX compatability entries telling IE to BLOCK any downloads of those problems

The entries it found are comonly found by rogue spyware removers and the entries are put in by either Spybot or spyware blaster normally as an ActiveX kill bit

That is why we are so adamant about being very careful with these badly wrtitten or rip off so called spyware removers

14. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Indeed, but you didn't have to go through all that trouble.
    Eric L. Howes already tested it before, as mentionned on the Rogue Anti-spyware webpage.
    Thanks anyway for confirming the results and removing this post. ;)
    Hey ... I just found out I can report a bad post. Bummer, didn't see that before. :doubt:

15. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have a lot of confidence in the combination of Spybot,AdAware,and Spyware Blaster.

These programs are well-known and that means something when you consider all the rogue spyware removal programs that are out there. ;)

16. luv2bsecure

If keyloggers are a concern, I would add Webroot's Spy Sweeper to the list. Spybot and AdAware (as good as they are) are geared more to the garden variety spyware and adware and don't have near the database size for keylogger detection that Spy Sweeper has.

John
    Luv2BSecure

17. GlobalForce

Posted by Detox :
    Spoken as a true-----> gentleman. :cool:

GF

18. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I would also like to throw Spycop into the anti-keylogger mix.

It has saved my bacon on a few occasions. ;)

snowbound

19. GlobalForce

Say Snowbound,

Not that you've needed it, but how's the support from Spycop? I've got SpySweeper now (on a pc mag mention), and IMO can tell you their support's short a bag of chip's. I'd like your opinion on this, cause when my subsciption dries out,
    I'll be in the market.

So, how is your bacon these days :D ?

GF

20. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

Webroot's support is non-existant. When I couldn't upgrade, I e-mailed them and I just got the automatic response of "uninstall then reinstall". I've never heard from them since. :mad: I will be looking into SpyCop when my subscription is up as well, as I will be staying clear of any Webroot product.

21. GlobalForce

It does seem all responses are automated, all cut and dry. Besides, I've found they run you around their site in an attempt to get some reasonable answers. They are not on my list of helpful vendors.

Snowbound or someone with SpyCop, any words about support will be taken with open ears.

GF

22. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

spyblocker is maybe still up there with the best, However It will be intersting to see how Prevx shapes out . This may be excellent at spyware/malware etcd provention, provided ones system is clean before instalation of prevx.

23. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

A little burnt. ;)

As for Spycop support, the few times i needed it i got vey quick responses so i was quite happy with that.

Pretty simple program actually, and they have greatly improved the scan times in the last few versions.

The only downside is it is quite pricey, 70.00 dollars CDN. when i purchased it, not sure how much it is now. Lifetime subscription though.

snowbound

24. luv2bsecure

I agree with Webroot support being awful. However, if the product works better than the competition with better support - I'll take the feeling of security in the product before the support. Spy Sweeper has a much larger database than SpyCop and is especially good in the keylogger realm. But, the support is horrible - I'll give you that. Fortunately, I have never needed their support as the product works extremely well. Webroot needs to get their tech support in gear though......just no excuses for that kind of (non) service.

25. GlobalForce

Thanks for the feedback snowbound and L2b.

I didn't realize SpyCop's rate was seventy, but with lifetime (or as long as they stick around) it sounds better.

I agree L2b, support can be frustrating as they had me re-register twice! Why, I'll key it to their first response to my request for support, they were having server problems, the program wouldn't open. The fix was easy enough. But I do prefer a better functioning program vs. good support. It's the reason I picked it up in the first place, one of the online mag. comparisons gave it high rating's as the one that caught keyloggers.

I had a hunch you'd reply here somewhere... ;)

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.