The AOL® Safety and Security Center(powered by McAfee)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wujxin, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wujxin

wujxin Registered Member

What do you think about this?

http://daol.aol.com/safetycenter/

The AOL® Safety and Security Center is the most comprehensive set of free, automatically updating security tools -- protecting your whole PC, not just e-mail:
    Always-on, always up-to-date virus protection (powered by McAfee) that guards your whole PC
    Automatic protection from known phishing sites* when you sign on with your screen name to the AOL® service
    Spyware protection that scans more powerfully and faster than ever
    A security barrier between your computer and the Internet with AOL® Firewall
    Attention Parents: AOL Parental Controls are now available for free to everyone: Get details.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The AOL Safety Center has McAfee AV, McAfee firewall and PestPatrol Antispyware scan engines. The problem is that there is no provision for manual update and you must wait for the automatic updates with this product.

Decent protection but very simplistic as it is meant for the set-and-forget market.

3. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

I can't download it with my AOL screen name and when I try to register to the "New AOL email" I get an error at the end o_O

I'm lost...

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I personally would steer clear of this. Have had bad experiences with both AOL & McAfee. But that is just me.:cool:

5. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I think using any program that has AOL's brand on it is a bad idea, but that's just me. You can do better IMO and still not pay a dime. For example, Comodo Personal Firewall, Avira AntiVir PE Classic, and Spyware Terminator. There's your free good quality firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware (and HIPS if wanted with ST). This collection will offer excellent protection. :thumb:

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

When I was setting up a family members secruity that had let their freebie come with the system trial stuff expire :mad: :p. After I shamed them into :oops: :oops: I told them now lets consider your options you have AOL :rolleyes: :p You could use their stuff or you could go with a best of breed approach and still pay little or no money for it (over the long run). Oh but we want AOL:rolleyes: Yes, but, no AOL :rolleyes: They beat me into submission:D .

I loaded it up and got it set up for them and check periodically to make sure it is working. FireCat is totally corrrect it is clearly for set up and forget market, which really does fit the family member's proflie. :rolleyes: :( .

Are you set and forget or do you want to take a more active role in your security that would determine your choice? ;)

7. wujxin

wujxin Registered Member

Comodo is great,I'm using it.But when it asked me whether to allow a program to connect to the internet,I pressed allow button and it would hang on for a few seconds.:'(

8. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

When I allow/deny an app, CPF will take a brief moment on my machine to apply the rule once clicked. It could be that your other security apps are scanning the file that Comodo is updating once applied, hence the extra delay.

9. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Not to be rude but why is everyone just discovering this Security Center now? It's been out for about a year...and it's still bloated and not very good.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Its been discussed before but didn't really get much attention because of various uninstallation problems with the early versions of this product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.