The 17 Most Dangerous Places on the Web

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by sweater, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
  2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Very interesting:

"5) Assume that everyone's out to get you.

PC security is one area where it pays to be paranoid. Just remember that no security software is fail-safe, and that you're still the one sitting at the keyboard. Assume that no site is safe. And don't automatically trust a link or file download, even if a friend sends it to you."

Too true.

"Worse still, when you delete your browser's cookies, Flash cookies get left behind."

I believe SUPERAntiSpyware removes these now on scanning.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Interesting Article, i like the quote that Daveski17 took from the article :D

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Places that infect your PC --- nothing infects PC, maybe the OS on top of it.
    It's the usual unreasoned unsubstantiated scare against nothing really. Fail.
    Mrk

5. katio

katio Guest

yeah
    "My computer is slow, it takes 3 minutes to boot and it crashed all the time. I clearly need a new one." ;)

Scare against nothing? Going by my own experience of how most people use their PC this gives a pretty accurate picture. It doesn't take only a few hours of course, but let them use their computer for a few years without reinstalling and it's filled with adware, spyware, scareware, and worse. Most 3rd party apps aren't updated in ages and the expired AV license doesn't help either.

User education doesn't work, the only people reading such articles already know better. The only way to solve this is to design more secure and robust OSs.
    Chrome OS, iOS and to a lesser extent Android and Linux show how it can be done. Windows 8 will probably advance this as well. Surely at the cost of freedom and privacy. Hmmm, I wonder what Ben would say about that :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.