Thanksgiving Banner

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by hardhead, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

very nice :)

2. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

Hey Wilders,

Thanks for that Thanksgiving banner.

3. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Nice banner!:thumb:

Grtz,

Smokey

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Nice banner indeed. Have to call my friends in Carmel. Nearly forgot about that, but thanks to Wilders i remember to do so. What a forum :thumb:

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Lovely. Just lovely! I love the gold highlighting in the name. The fall leaves are a nice touch also. :):thumb:

6. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

It's really beautiful. :)

7. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

I like the banner however what is Thanksgiving? From what I can tell from American films it is something that causes Americans to drive home through the snow to an often candle lit dinner with all their family (similar to a Christmas dinner) where they eat Turkey and everyone is happy. To whom are they giving Thanks and for what? It looks a little like the Harvest Time service but at the wrong time of year so it cannot be thanking God for the harvest. EDIT: I've done some googling it's the same thing as Harvest Festival, it is part of the Christian calendar but it is a pagan festival that has been adopted.

Does it have as central a role in American lives as it appears to in feel good movies?

Thanks,
    Phasechange :cool:

8. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Sorry for this, but I feel like being logged in to some Fruity Forum with this banner.........:thumbd: Like it clean and a little businesslike better, but that's just me!

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Take a look at the bright side please:cautious: :thumbd:

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

LoL,

well, i'm sure it's only temporary anyway so things will be as they were in a few days. ;) :D

Steve

11. Big Apple

Great.....thank you! ;)

12. Big Apple

That's the trouble with this banner, things don't look as bright as they should! ;)

13. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I couldn't have said it better !

It is beautiful !!! :thumb: :-* *puppy*

14. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

That's a beautiful banner, that someone went to much time and effort to add some Holiday cheer here is so coool!

Lookin' forward to snowflake smiley's! :D NO? LOL!

Have a very Happy Holiday, just appreciating the 'good things' and people you are blessed to have in your life...
    We should do that everyday...;)

Cheers to all the Wilders Folk!

Marja:cool:

phasechange, I hate to mention this, but your popsicle is melting..:eek:

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i too like the banner. it adds color and variety to the forum.

16. phasechange

I like it in the same way as I like the seasonal google logos :cool: I especially like the dot above the "i"

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas are probably the most precious of the holidays for Americans. Thanksgiving is a day when far flung families come together at the home of an elder family member to give thanks for the good things we have, to share those things with those who are less fortunate, and to remember, as a nation, our origins and how the Indians helped the original colonists to survive in the harsh winter by teaching them how to cultivate and cook new foods.

http://www.crewsnest.vispa.com/thanksgivingusa.htm

18. phasechange

Thanks :) I'm going to read the link now :cool: I think we need to get festive Smilies on the server in preparation for Xmas and Hogmanay!

UPDATE: Read it. Liked the story. It cheered me up as I've been feeling ill for a few days. I think the story probably overlooks the links to the Harvest Festivals of the Old World (especially the England) which probably influenced events however the story is just fine as it is :D

My gift back to you is this link on Hogmanay http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=hogmanay&gwp=13 The traditions may be similar where you are. Although I'm not sure if people first foot outside Scotland.

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Personally, being from the UK, I didnt know it was "Thanksgiving" (sorry to the US members for my ignorance/ lack of thought on this), I do know about the holiday,.. but from the image, this just made me think of the time of year "Autumn", as looking out of my window I see the trees change in colour/falling leaves.

So, from my personal view, I like the banner,.. I find it relaxing, and a welcomed change.

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have never heard of first footing but there are similar traditions. We usually take gifts to others on Christmas eve although that tradition is not as strong as when I was little. First footing sounds like fun. Interesting how a dark haired man is preferable...maybe my father is of Nordic descent although his ancestors are Welsh/Scottish as he was a red head. Of course, auld lang syne ushers in the New Year here also both at midnight in Times Square in New York City and wherever folks are gathered. Many people stay at home and watch the Times Square New Year's Eve celebration on television. Where I live it is hard to find any public restaurants, bars, etc open and most people have stopped having friends over to their homes on New Year's Eve due to stringent drunk driving laws.

Some day perhaps I will get to see Scotland...maybe on New Year's eve and get to take part in first footing.

I hope you are feeling better. Yes, I agree that story downplayed the "pagan" aspects of Thanksgiving festivals, etc. That is done a lot here with religious holidays also.

21. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All Creatures,
    I like the Thanksgiving touch. I for one would like to see a little more of this type of thing and not just USA holidays. I want to learn about others and their customs. I think it is great that phasechange took time to check things out. This creature and I are of a like way in this respect.

It is a time to give thanks for the bounty that has been provided. As in the end of the harvest season. Also has some historical roots in America but I will not go into all that here. The banner symbol represents a basket of plenty. Also a time to share with those less fortunate.

No offense taken Stem. No need to be sorry. :)

Big Apple..."like it clean like it businesslike"....bore, oh bore, oh bore...:mad: :thumbd: :p

22. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Thought I'd chime in a say "great Turkey Day banner".

23. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Nice. Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Gobble Gobble. :D

24. phasechange

Hi!

There is a stereotype of red haired Scotsman however red hair is not especially common here and I think the origin of the red haired Scotsman image is the confusion of the ideas of marauding Scots with Norse invaders. Celts and Picts are both traditionally dark haired so someone with dark hair turning up on your door would have been a friend (hence the first footing by a dark haired man) and someone with fair hair would have been a Norsemen (not welcome!). That said the Norsemen ruled many of the islands (around 500-600 AD) and that is where the red haired Scots you find today would have got their hair colour from.

First footing is probably in decline as a tradition too. It's a shame because it's fun and a link with childhood. However the world is more and more the same as time goes on. The only good thing that may come from that is less wars however I'm not holding my breath!

My wife bought my Xmas present today so the clocks ticking to Christmas already!

Phasechange :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.