Thank You Eset!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Wardy, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wardy

Wardy Registered Member

Hi All,

I've been lurking around the Nod32 forum for well over a year, maybe even two years and following the installation of the new Smart Security Suite I feel obliged to say thanks, especially as the majority of forum posts (as on any forum) tend to highlight infrequent issues, happy customers don't always post!

I moved from 2.5 to 2.7 with no issues (can't remember exactly but think this was an upgrade install)
    I moved from 2.7 to 3 with an upgrade installation with no issues
    Now, following the XP firewall becoming unstable and not wanting to re-install I upgraded from 3 to the suite with an upgrade install with no issues either! It didn't even want a restart! (though I gave it one anyway)

My mothers laptop has followed the same route up to version 3 with no issues either.

The firewall is probably the most discrete I've ever had in fact I have to keep checking to see that it's on :D and the spam filter is getting stuck into what my ISP lets by.

I've noticed no performance drop moving from the Antivirus to the Suite on my FX60.

Both my Mother and I have 3 year licences and we're both very happy Eset customers, long may it continue!

Cheers

Paul

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

o_O o_O o_O
    This is the first time I've heard of the Windows firewall becoming unstable.

3. Wardy

Wardy Registered Member

Perhaps, but here is what I found myself doing about once/twice a week......

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920074/en-us

The firewall service just wouldn't consistently start, indeed I changed the failure options on the service to restart on failure but this just didn't help either. Trawling the rest of the knowledge base didn't seem to turn up an alternative solution to a re-install. As I'm hoping to build a new quad/octal machine in around 6 months I just didn't want to go through all the software and driver hassle twice, lazy perhaps but true :D The Eset firewall is showing no such problems.

To be fair, networking on this machine has never been great after I installed a security suite from one of the large well known, yellow, resource heavy software companies ;) (when I first bought the machine in the time before I discovered Eset). From the first reboot after installing the old suite it would take the machine an age to obtain an IP address from the router or ISP. The uninstall routine was rubbish and it took ages to manually remove the registry entries before installing Nod for the first time.

I'm sure some clever people on this or associated forums might be able to fix my windows firewall without trashing it and starting again but having spent so much time trying I lost patience and took a very easy option!

Best regards

Paul

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I'd do a deep check of the OS, this symptom (the firewall not starting) may indicate some underlying OS corruption.
    But keep ESS, it's a fine product after all, with some quirks here and there, but nothing serious.

5. zoomster

zoomster Registered Member

I have been using nod32 for two years and just upgraded to ESET Security. So far, the experience has been good. Lean on resources and an easy and polished interface. I just wanted to share my experience with possible new users. (I was using nod32 + Comodo firewall before)....:rolleyes:

6. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

Try running System File Checker.

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_system_file_checker_and_how_do_i_run_it.html

It really works.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Actually , the link Wardy gives will be of more help when it comes to fixing WF => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920074/en-us ;)

Methods 1 or 2 .

Most likely you didn't do everything just as explained . However , your post doesn't indicate you want advice how to fix Windows Firewall but if your computer is malware free , the methods described above work if done as written in the MS KB article . :thumb:

8. Wardy

Wardy Registered Member

Hmmm, well I certainly followed the first method calling the re-installation correctly following the exact instructions. Indeed the XP firewall will work correctly for a number of reboots before failing.According to Nod, Spybot, A Squared, AVG Antispyware and Adaware my machine is malware free, I don't visit the darker side of the internet and I only use Opera, so I would be very, very surprised if I had some new super malware that disables the XP firewall?

I haven't tried the manual registry merge of method 2 though, would this be more likely to work? I do like the disclaimer at the top of method 2 "Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved" :blink:

I'm open to suggestions on fixing the XP firewall as there's always stuff to learn from the experts :thumb:

Cheers

Paul

9. stueycaster

It's been my experience that a problem can be just a symptom of another problem on a computer. Recently I had a problem with my multimedia keyboard software. I reinstalled it twice and each time it acted up again within about an hour. This told me that the problem wasn't the software but something in Windows. I ran SFC and it hasn't acted up since.

Go ahead and try Hitech's suggestions. He's obviously much more advanced with computers than I am. Just be sure to set a restore point before making changes in the registry. However, if his suggestions don't cure it then you have to try SFC. It's simple and it only takes about 20 minutes (on my computer). I have cured my computer from acting strange by using it about three times now.

If you start it up and it asks for your Windows disk then you definitely have a problem. It always has on mine.

10. Wardy

Wardy Registered Member

Thanks Stuey I'll give that a try, I already tried the knowledge base solution unsuccesfully. I don't have easy access to my OEM XP disc, it's somewhere in the garage loft :D when I put the decorations away I'll dig it out and see what happens, hopefully at the weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

11. stueycaster

I hope it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.