TH 11 0x40004 Disk is full error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Debb, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debb

Debb Registered Member

Hi -

I previously posted my newbie post with scant info. If one of the moderators can delete that post I would appreciate it.

I now have more information.

First time user of TH11, just downloaded from Acronis.

Attempting to make a full image backup (C: has about 4.4 gigs, reinstall of winxp pro).

Backup to CD; using CD-R, 700 meg disks, should take 4 of them with the next to the highest compression level.

Getting E00040004 errors,

Acronis starts to write to disk 1; goes several minutes;

error disk is full; possible reason may be poor media quality

press retry to continue with volume 1

Am I doing something wrong with this backup?
    Should I go to Stales tonight and get DVD writable disks or cdroms that are RW?

I am attempting to make this backup before I download MS updates, and install user programs, so that I have a clean image of the resinstall.

Any help would very much be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The serious and honest answer is you should go out and buy a USB external hard drive.

Backing up to CD or DVD disks rarely works well with TrueImage. An external hard drive is faster and more dependable backup locatioon.

The reason that you are getting a poor quality media might be because the CD-R disks you are using are bad, but I doubt it. Your CD-RW drive may not be working properly, or there might be some other problem. Who knows?

3. Debb

Debb Registered Member

Thank you. I do have 2 external USB drives I can use, one that I currently use for syncing data files, and a new one I haven't used yet. I am not familiar with the process of using a usb drive for image restore.

If I use a cd or dvd, I know I can pop it in - and either have TI on the cd (so I can pick which files to restore); or have it be bootable (so I can recover in case Windows won't boot).

I believe that I could boot from the a USB drive (I better doublecheck this) by changing the boot sequence.

Is it better to use the new drive; and use it dedicated to acronis images?

I guess I would put TI on the drive, so that I could restore specific files?

In this case, an image of a "vanilla" resinstall of windows - maybe I would want this one to be bootable.

How does using an external drive handle these 2 functions?

I am new to imaging - and I am trying to understand so that I am covered for varous eventualities. I also might want to create a BartPE or UBCD4Win cds also.

I am unsure whether I want to install the MBR mod for autostart yet, untill I figure out how Acronis works (since I might want to use it in conjunction with other products).

Thank you for taking the time.

Debb

4. como

como Registered Member

Make sure you have the latest build of TI, make a rescue CD or if you prefer a rescue usb stick providing your computer will boot from usb.

Make a backup of your whole hard disk to the external drive, this will include the mbr. Save the file to the external disk. The files TI make have the extension .tib and are just like any other file.

Boot from the rescue CD and make sure that it sees all your hardware and carry out a restore operation as far as when you get to the proceed button, if you cancel out no restore will have taken place and your hard disk will remain as is. As you have only installed a basic Windows set up you may bite the bullet and proceed to carry out a full restore which is the only sure way to be sure it will work.

As the rescue CD is based on Linux it may not see all your hardware if it is recent, if it doesn’t make a BartPE or VistaPE disk, the VistaPE disk is easier to make, (see mustangs guide and scripts for both Bart and VistaPE disks)

5. Debb

Debb Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try them.

If I run into more questions or problems implementing them I will post more questions.
    Debb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.