TF.GID i don't know what it is, but it don't sound good!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by HandsOff, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Every had the experience of glancing at your Windows Explorer window and noticing yet another folder that you dont recognize?

in this case the folder is called TF, and it contains one file called TF.GID.
    i checked briefly on the internet and basically only know that it is used to "audit". I didn't want to actually go to the site to read more. Does anyone know what it is?

- HandsOff

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hey HandsOff, anymore info....from file properties or logfiles?
    Have you recently messed with permissions...new program...fresh dwnld?

GF

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Found a definition of .gid (global index) files at Clean up your Hard Drive:

".gid - Help-related file; when you run a Help file, it creates a GID to make future accesses to that particular help file a tad quicker. They're a complete waste of space. You'll have to delete these on a regular basis, as they are recreated with every Help file execution."

More here: Description of .gid Files.

Nick

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  4. GlobalForce

Kudo's on that search Nick. I kinda gave up too easy on gid files.

GF

5. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Where was the folder containing the file mentioned above?

Jimbob

6. HandsOff

"Where was the folder containing the file mentioned above?

Jimbob"

Thats the weird part. It was located in the root directory, c:\, and the GID file was a hidden file. I would not guess that GID files would normally be hidden.
    There are only two other other .GID files on my c drive because windows washer normally deletes them (unless they are hidden)

GF - What do you mean by logfiles? I was able to somewhat read the GID file not all of the characters were readable.

& ;) F! ÿÿ  B >B ÿÿÿÿAccelerator Keys   ņ Branch Settings Button   Ì  Branch Settings Controls H    7    Ò  5€  ‚  }…  H‡   Child Branch Settings (  À  È  H€  Ì‚  Æ„ Child Branch Settings Button   ! Child Branch Settings Controls  
    FILE button   €
    File Menu   „ Button   !€ Length Settings Control

that sort of thing....

WAIT! i know what it is!
    It is part of an old graphics program that I deleted. I guess the uninstaller did not get everything. The program is called "Tree Factory"...TF!

well, uh...never mind! Thanks anyway

- HandsOff

7. GlobalForce

From the Event Viewer, in case we were talk'in bad download. :p

This Tree Factory....for creating trees and bushes? Looks like a 3D forestry package.... :cool:
    This prog's from Digimation, right? Tell you the truth it's pretty cool, never thought of software for this....and the price! :eek:

Justified, you'd have to really be into it. It's good to see an interest outside of security....maybe I should have a go! :D Anyway, I'm glad to hear you didn't suffer a nasty. Funny how memory kicks in.... :D :p

GF

8. HandsOff

Hi GF -

Yeah, from digimation. Actually I thought it was going to be something that I was going to be able to use in photoshop. It only outputs to one format though, the major 3D format. Still, i am interested in trying 3D drawing, however, i don't even know what to start with.

Add to that the strange 3D artist ethos. I was looking at 3D art in an online gallery when I stumbled onto a picture that was attracting a lot of attention. Half the people loved it, and half the people accused the artist of touching up a real photo to make it appear to be a 3D drawing! It was as though he had committed fraud.

Here's how I understand it. you are supposed to start with a 3D model of grid lines. these lines help you to visualize how light and shadows would effect each square, which allows you to create the 3D look.

Got it? Okay, now here comes the funny part. When someone is learning to draw on paper, they will sometimes trace a real photo, then draw a grid so that they can shade it properly. Well...in art, that is considered (by many) to be bad form. They say that it does not help you to be able to REALLY draw. Hmmmm.

Well like they say: Judge not lest you be judged.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.