Text encryption

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mjau, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjau

mjau Registered Member

Im looking for a easy way to ecnrypt txt files easy, i really dont want to install anything but a portable software.

Something like locknote maybe?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

4. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Or, use any old text editor, then .7z encrypt the text file with AES-256... masking the filename if you need to.

5. duk

duk Registered Member

6. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hugsy, That site is very insecure. Do you realize all of your communications can be read by anyone with any technical prowess? And your ISP? They see everything you write there. That site can only be called a gimmick because it uses the simple http protocol without SSL.

edit: The site claims to use "Host Proof Hosting," a method they believe is secure. The only info on HPH from the Lock The Text site is to a Wikipedia article. However, that article no longer exists as it was deleted by Wikipedia. You can view the discussion page which prompted the removal. Someone wrote on the discussion page about "Host Proof Hosting":

The idea of host-proof-hosting is so fundamentally flawed (as partially explained in the article itself) that it is no wonder that it is not published in any respectable security venue (or, for that matter, any security venue). The main idea of host-proof-hosting is for a website to send some Javascript to the browser. This Javascript encrypts some data using a password entered by the user. The declared purpose of HPH is to remove the requirement for the user having to trust the website with the data. However, the system not only fails to achieve this (it is the very website that provides the Javascript that receives both the data and the user's password and can do with them pretty much whatever it likes, i.e. whatever the website likes), but it actually introduces a new vulnerability that does not exist in the absence of HPH. Namely, now the website must be trusted with the user's password. User's that re-use passwords (or passphrases) therefore expose themselves to a greater extent that is the case without HPH. All these points are so ridiculously obvious that I do not understand why the article still survives.​

I certainly wouldn't trust the site as "secure" in any way at all.

~

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  8. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

I do agree, what i did is to download the site and its 3 background scripts, disabled internet connection, and then used the html and scripts on my PC to encrypt txt. Of course this can't rival security like from Locknote or PGP or rar, 7z etc., since it doesn't even mask password, but it's an option for quick encryption of "not so important" msg. And NO, i wouldn't put my hand in fire for bulletproof security of this method.

9. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

fSekrit is another decent little portable app for creating encrypted text files.

10. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

No it's done client side with javascript, the text you write/encrypt there never leaves your machine.

11. LockBox

As discussed above - who writes the script?

12. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

13. LockBox

Locknote is good, but would need to be attached to email with a different extension than the .exe. You might look at BestCrypt's free program called 'BCTextEncoder'. It's very easy to use, based on OpenPGP, with the easiest user interface I have ever seen. 256-bit AES. Free. Simple to use. No-installation necessary - can be run from a thumb drive.
    http://www.jetico.com/encryption-bctextencoder/

14. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Do you know if winrar masks the filename?

15. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

if you set the "encrypt header" then yes. If i remember right :)

16. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I have never used encryption, but since my system got invaded recently I want to start encrypting all personal information so I'm trying to find the right direction.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  17. box750

box750 Registered Member

Yes it does, at least the latest version, I use it regularly. But not by default, when you set the password you need to click on a checkbox that says "Encrypt filenames".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.