Text Edit Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zarzenz, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Using XP/SP2 fully patched... I have a text edit problem that is intermittent.

What happens is... if I am writing an email or forum post such as this... and then say I make a spelling mistake that I see later when looking over the completed text... and then I go back and try to correct the mistake by highlighting the incorrect letter as normal and then hitting the correct letter to take the place of the incorrect one, what happens is the next one gets deleted. This also happens if I then try to insert a new letter or even a space, so I can never get the word correct.

The only way I seem to be able to correct this is to copy the whole body of the text to notepad and then I can edit fine and insert the text back into the original work document.

Sometimes everything works normally and I can edit ok... seems to just happen every now and then.

Anyone ever had this... any idea what is the cause.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Maybe you're working in the overwrite mode. Try experimenting with Insert key. See if that changes anything.
    Mrk

3. zarzenz

Hi Mrkvonic,

You may have come up with a possible answer here regarding this overwrite mode. This is a term I have not heard of before so I just did a quick google search and it appears that inadvertant use of the insert key can put this overwrite mode on without knowing it and then words can indeed be messed up. There even seems to be people out there saying it has no real use and should be disabled in some way... maybe taking the keytop off.

I will have to wait now to see when this problem next happens and then play around with the insert key to see if it produces a fix.

Amazing how such a simple thing as hitting this key... which is very possible as it is so close to the very often used delete key... could be the cause and why after years of using the keyboard I never knew of this before.

I do seem to be hitting wrong keys more often these days... it may be a sign of fingers possibly not so mobile as they were or whatever... but thanks for pointing me in this direction... seems to be the right one.

zarzenz

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Glad to be able to help.
    Mrk

5. zarzenz

Hi Mrk,

Yes, fantastic help to me here today.

After a few more searches regarding this issue it seems it's quite a well known problem but does catch lots of unsuspecting people like myself out from time to time.

It was quite amusing reading what some people thought about this insert key with some suggesting it needs a plastic hinged cover similar to that found on missile launch systems... I had to smile over that one.

Amazed how it's only recently this has affected me... has to be linked to more regular wrong key hits... probably my eyes more than anything else which do need a bit of help these days with reading etc.

Anyway... many thanks again and also for the very quick response.

Cheers,
    zarzenz

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Cheers back!
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.