Testing Windows Restore on Smaller Drive - How long does this take?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mcamp60, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcamp60

mcamp60 Registered Member

Jan 1, 2011
    1st time user of backup software, 1st time user of Paragon Backup Suite 10.

I am testing paragon backup 10 suite to both understand how to use it and i hopefully get some clarity on the process, progress, and overall time to complete various tasks. I need some help understanding the boot drive restore process and approximately how long it should take:

I did the following:
    Made a backup of my win 7 pro drive (1TB containing OS & Apps which only has about 100mb + about 60GB) and 3 other drives. The backup resides on a 4th drive which exclusively contains the paragon capsule.
    Created a recover disk.
    Disconnected all drives except paragon capsule drive and added a clean 250gb drive.
    I inserted the recovery disk, started the restore process. (btw - normal restore didn’t work so i choose safe mode...seems to work)
    I selected the archives to restore. I was trying to get just my boot drive (c) but its a little confusing.
    I selected the destination drive (250gb) drive.
    Restore created the hidden 100 mb partition then it started on the remaining files (apps and stuff...i think). Here is the main problem: The progress bars are frozen during the restore and only seem to refresh when the coping is complete. I know this by the 100mb restore but when i get to the 2nd partition (60GB) the progress is frozen and the files seem to take for ever to copy.

Finally my questions:
    Am i doing this correctly?
    How long will this take?
    Will i have additional steps or issues since i am using a new smaller drive?

Sorry about the long posting and thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.