Testing software, Forming Opinions and a Clean Image

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by trjam, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

After all the years of testing products out, it has become very apparent to me the value of starting with a clean image. I have found and tested products, and formed opinions on different products I like and dislike. Most of the time my argument was it was sluggish or just didn't perform as I wished. It finally dawned on me of the importance of installing a product on a clean image.

When we tests products and uninstall them, it is obvious that junk gets left behind. Most of the time we assume what may remain is totally harmless, but I know now that, even registry entries for unused products can and do play a part on other products installed.

I am not a geek so specifics I don't have, but I do know that products I have complained about when installed on a clean image, behaved sometimes in a totally different way. What I thought was sluggish became responsive. It doesn't mean it can take a bad product and make it better, but it did teach me that, before forming an opinion on a product and then complaining about it here, it may be my own machines fault and not the product.

I know now, the importance of testing stuff in a fair environment, for not only myself, but for the vendor also. Just my 2 uneducated cents worth.

2. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

Makes total sense to me. My question is, as someone who knows absolutely nothing about imaging, how do you go about doing this? Where/how would I begin?

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

You look where this thread should of been started ;) -
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@trjam: Have you looked at virtual machines?

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

tobacco is correct. Moved thread to proper forum. Thanks!

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

FDISR
    It was all sooo easy way back when. :'( :'(
    Still nothing to get near it.

Well set-up VMs with plenty of RAM + snapshots ?? maybe next best option.

?? Need a dedicated machine with various images of different set-ups to restore.

Set up multiboot options into different images/OS set-ups/Test beds on one machine ??
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

Read about Roxio_BOT: ?? Some options there:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1705645&postcount=9
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276333&highlight=Roxio

...my head hurts...often :argh:

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am still lucky to have my FD-ISR. The one pice of software I guard with my life.;)

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

For VM's, just copy the folder. Very easy restoring it.

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

@trjam,

I agree and I believe most of the problems that users reported are due to the users' computer systems themselves. Unless the reported problems can be replicated and reproduced on a number of different systems, they can hardly be classified as a fair problem report.:doubt:

Sound familiar ?...I started the Opera 10.5 to 10.7 thread and many users reported crashes on their systems and only one of the reported crashes is a genuine bug and even then, the Opera developers were aware and recognize that crash problem very early.:p

10. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I partially agree. Most of the problems are caused by security software; all those kernel hooks, the services installed as hidden drivers and their pure uninstallers is one of the reasons that made microsoft to introduce PatchGuard on 64bit.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.