Testing Rollback RX

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mrfargoreed, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I've been reading about Rollback RX and want to test it on one of my FDISR snapshots but was wondering if this is possible? From what I can find Rollback doesn't affect the MBR (although I'm probably wrong), so therefore shouldn't affect FDISR. I'm reluctant to try it before I am 100% sure though. I would not want to replace FDISR, I just want to test Rollback on my 'Testing Software' snapshot. Is it safe to try?

Thanks

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

RollbackRx and FirstDefense-ISR have a similar function and combining both softwares in the SAME system partition is asking for trouble. Isn't that logical ?
    Even when it works, you have to find out HOW both will work together and behave themselves on your system partition.
    If my memory is good, this has been tested by another member, but just for the fun and it looked very weird and hard to understand.

If I would do this, I would do the following :
    1. Take an image of your actual system partition with your image backup software and watch out for your personal data.
    2. Uninstall FirstDefense-ISR completely in the snapshot you want to keep for RollbackRx.
    3. Install RollbackRx and do what you want to do.
    4. Restore your computer back with the previous taken image, when you don't need RollbackRx anymore.

3. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

I agree with ErikAlbert.
    FD-ISR and RollbackRx use different methods to achieve the same ends - rapid system restore.
    In my experience Rollback still has some teething problems which means it works perfectly for some people but causes problems for others dependent on their hardware/ software environment. Personally I used it on my laptop but have given up with it for now and replaced it with RestoreIt as it caused huge boot time delays. I use FD-ISR on my main box.
    I'd ask yourself why you particularly need Rollback if you are happy with FD-ISR, but failing that get a good image of your system with FD-ISR installed onto another drive (e.g. external drive) - and test it- uninstall FD-ISR from your system and then install Rollback.
    As far as I recall from the post when the 2 were tried together it does work to run them both but Rollback comes first in the boot sequence so it would be impossible to try Rollback within a FD-ISR snapshot.
    Good luck!

4. mrfargoreed

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think I would ever replace FDISR, but I just wanted to try out RollbackRX - give it a test run, if you like. I think the risks are far too high - I just wanted to see RollbackRX in action, as it were.

Yes, it is logical - I just wanted to be totally certain. What I wanted was to only test RollbackRX on a FDISR snapshot. If I wasn't impressed with Rollback, I'd simply remove or replace the snapshot and no harm done to my system. Seeing as this almost certainly will cause conflict, I won't even try Rollback yet as I can never see myself getting rid of FDISR :)

It was purely out of curiosity to see if Rollback suited my needs and how it was different from FDISR - better or worse. I personally love the way I can have a different snapshot with FDISR for different uses - one for testing software, one for gaming, one as backup, etc, and wondered how Rollback compared - was it easier? Faster? Etc.

No further reason needed. I don't want anything trying to muscle in on FDISR and pushing it out the way :mad:

Once again, thanks to you both for making your answers very clear. Perhaps I will try Rollback when, and if, I ever lose faith with FDISR. Which I can't see happening. :)

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have used Rollback like that and it was like in FDISR. I had a gaming snapshot for games. It worked like acharm with different configurations.
    The biggest advantage with RB is the speed of snapshot creation, it just takes ten seconds to make one. You can have up to 60 000 snapshots, but I never got past 25-26 snapshots. I found it hard to navigate with that many, I can see the confusion if I´ve had 100 or 1000 snapshots :)

I didn't notice any difference in reboot speed compared to FDISR. When I tried RB last spring it was not very reliable in my machine (snapshots got corrupted) so I had to ditch it and go back to FDISR which is more robust. But I really liked RB and will probably try it again later again since I did buy a license, hoping that these latest versions are more reliable.

When I tried RB the first time I just uninstalled FDISR but without deleting the snapshots. And when I was done with RB I just uninstalled RB and installed FDISR again and all my snapshots where back like nothing had happened.
    I figure it is enough just to disable preboot in FDISR? I mean then the MBR reverts to the default one, and when RB is uninstalled all one has to do is enable it again. At least that is what I will do the next time I install RB.

6. mrfargoreed

Hey sukarof!

One of the things that I love about FDISR is, as you say, it seems so solid and robust. Also, like many other users, it very rarely lets them down (if used properly - it's never let me down once). Rollback RX did seem a little unstable from what I was reading, although perhaps the latest version is better?

I think what I'll do is wait until I need to reformat and have a couple of days to spare and try it completely fresh for a while. If it's not to my liking then I've not lost anything as I was going to reformat anyway and I'll have the time to play around with it.

I guess I could disable the pre-boot on FDISR, but it just sounds a bit risky. I've everything set up exactly how I like it on my primary snapshot. Although I suppose I could export it and re-import (??) it if things go wrong.

Ok mate, thanks for the advice. :thumb:

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yep you can import an exported archive snapshot from an external drive (or partition) I have done it several times and it has worked great when my system has gone mad :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.