Testing Out AVG Suite Also

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Going to have to leave AVG because I just found the way it repeated found various temp files as infected annoying because no matter if you send them to vault they just keep pooping up in warning box. Maybe my system is mixed up but with Nod32, Ewido 4, Comodo FW and Spyware Terminator RTM do not have these problems. May look at KIS next but not sure. Enjoyed this suite except for this annoyance which I could not get around in a way that would be acceptable to me. Thanks again for good feedback.

Gary

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

is it tracking cookies?

or just viruses in your temp.. if it is viruses, i think you should be happy avg is finding them and moving them to vault.

3. huntnyc

It says something about Worm something. I might give it another try but I just did not like it. If I copy and paste the text when it comes up maybe you can help me with it. I really do like just about everything else about the suite. Will take a while to reinstall but I will give it a go and let do its thing a few more days. When I used Bullguard 7 nothing like this was found or with any other antivirus program I have used of late so would like to know. Maybe this is some kind of trojan or perceived trojan. Will see the message again later I am sure and will get back and thanks.

Gary

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

OMG, if its a worm ... let the software move it to the vault, thats nasty if its a worm.

maybe a screenshot?

and if it keeps coming back in your temp internet files, i really suggest changing the websites you use, as a certain website keeps giving you the worm, if this is the case.

5. huntnyc

I have not reinstalled AVG Suite yet but will do so later today to give another go. It is truly amazing no other security programs give me that warning but AVG suite. Either it is better than the rest in that respect or something is not right with the detection on this one. Would like to know for sure. Will let you know when it pops up again and it may be tomorrow evening on this but I will find out about this. Will try to post a screen shot if I can. Thanks again.

Gary

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah post a screen and maybe send the file to www.virustotal.com and check what the other vendors say about the file.

avg doesnt usually give many fp's, just 3 in the last av-comparatives.

7. huntnyc

Will take just a little time but I will let you know and thanks again.

Gary

8. huntnyc

How do you see AVG's coverage of HIPS related protection. Do they have anything that is like KIS's Proactive defense or someof the similar defenses? I don't think I saw anything like this but I could be missing something. Would I need to run any program to supplement it and thanks.

Gary

9. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I was just wondering what leak tests the AVG firewall passes like Tool Leaky, PC Audit ect... I understand this isn't always that important, but I'm just curious.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The AVG suite doesnt have anything as in depth as kis proactive defence,and the firewall is pretty basic.It is meant for the user that just wants to get on about thier buisness and not be bothered with technical jargon or popups that that they have no idea about what to action or disable anyway.Its the sort of suite that i could happily install on my mothers pc and know that she wouldnt get into difficulties running it.If you are worried about hips and leak tests ...then AVG suite is not for you.If you want a no-nonsense suite that you dont have to worry about ,then itsdefinitly worth considering.
    ellison

11. duke1959

I do believe that a no nonsense suite with no worries is exactly what I would want ellison64. So thank you for your reply.

12. huntnyc

For just a bit decided to take a break from the suites and run my regular setup with a little twist as in NOD32 Beta 2.7, - along with Comod FW, Spyware Terminator RTM/HIPs and Ewido 4 on-damand. Probably will stay with the idea of putting BullGuard 7 on my wife's machine and that is another set it and forget it suite you might think about also. Still like a lot about AVG but just a little too many steps for me to fool with some "detected" files but will not rule it out yet. When and if I get back to it, will let you know and appreciate all the feedback and this and all subjects here.

Gary

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i have to say though, on this thread that that latest updates from avg have seen a big improvment on the software, the cookies problem has been fixed, the auto healing works properly now, never had a failure on anything.

also, i set my outlook express to move messages that are tagged as [SPAM] by avg to an avg spam folder automatically, and its very easy to set up and works perfectly, its so far... caught 100% of spam in the last 2 days and moved it correctly to "AVG spam folder"

http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1741046

if nobody knows how to do this, it takes 10 seconds and will gladly help anyone who wants to do this, i do recommend it.

also, i think the ram usage has lowered by a good 20 mb or so, i will keep my eye on it to see if it fluctuates, but all looks good,
    current ram usage is 44.9mb, but as stated before.. runs a whole lot quicker than ANY other suite, with a super super boot-up time.

http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1741059

good work AVG,
    lets continue with the updates :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  14. huntnyc

Trialing this suite again and you are right. I have not had the problems since they have provided these updates to properly deal with cookies. They seem to be very responsive to improving thier product and it does run lighter than any of my setups so far. Will keep trialing and look forward to more input from others. Thanks again.

Gary

15. duke1959

Does anyone get anything in their logs like I do? I get logs that I think are about AVG blocking my Wireless IP adress from contacting the Router, but I'm not sure. I was also getting logs that I now believe was because I had netbios enabled, but after disabling it I know longer see the log message I use to. Sorry I'm not writing what these logs are, as I emptied them earlier I just haven't received any yet. The one I still get occasionally though, that I mentioned in the beginning, is something like Filter Device blocked with the destination IP address being 255.255.255.255.67. I googled it, and as far as I can figure this has something to do with my Wirelss PC trying to go out to the Router or Service Provider. Any help?

16. huntnyc

Just curious when i do detailed complete scan with AVG suite, it says it scanned just over 113,000 obejects but with NOD#@ 2.7 RC! and Antivir suite, they scan well over 300,000 files, almost 400,000 files scanning the same drives. Why the difference I wonder since I have AVG set in the test to scan all files? Thanks.

Gary

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

There is no point in looking at the number of files scanned...every AV counts them in a different way, so you could in fact have two scanners that scanned the exact same number of files, but said 117000 & 217000.

It's the same with the number of signatures, the one with the low amount could potentially detect more than an AV with a "impressive number like 510000 instead of 170000.:)

18. huntnyc

Thanks Don. I am glad to hear that.

Gary

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I tested it, and I'm glad I did before purchasing it. I dont like it at all,:thumbd: its just AVG AntiVirus with plugins for Firewall/AntiSpyware Its nothing like the Standalone Programs of AVG AntiVirus Professional 7.5 and AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

plugins for firewall?

the only plugins are for email, which work a treat.

the firewall is there, built into the suite.

and avg antispyware runs when you do a full scan,

yes it looks like avg antivirus as IT IS AVG, they have kept the UI which im glad they did, as the basic interface is a good one in my opinion.

but, thats what trials are there for, to try it :)

21. duke1959

Hey C.S.J. Am I right in assuming that the AVG Antispyware Component not only scans, but is also for RealTime protection as well?

22. huntnyc

AVG Suite scan speed just over an hour. Antivir Suite about 35 minutes NOD#@ 2.7 RC was 28 minutes. All scanning all drives. No program found anything threatening thankfullly.

Gary

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah spyware, gets trapped whenever it finds it while surfing.

24. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

It is the pro version with integrated firewall.While i would like more options for the anti spyware plugin ,i am also thankful that it still supports 98 (for the diehards)whereas the standalone anti spyware doesnt.I guess if you are a poweruser it may not appeal to you as it just sits there doing its job without any problems....quite disconcerting....even for me sometimes;)
    ellison

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Real-time spyware protection is only for Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98/ME users do not get this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.