Testing Opera 8.0...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rdsu, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

I'm a fan of Maxthon since June of 2003, but now I want to try another alternative to see if find something better...

I already tried a lot of times the Firefox, but still exists a lot of bugs on it and in extensions, so I will wait for version 2.0...

After trying Opera 8.0 for a while, I'm very suprised. It have features that I thought that only Maxthon had, it's very fast, have a nice configuration and is stable. The things that lacks to me is being anoted to be suggested in the Opera forum...

I want to see your opinion about Opera, tips, some tweaks that can exists, a download manager that can works fine with it, spell checker, etc. :)

Thanks,
    V_C

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Been Opera user since version 2x never looked back, has saved my hide on slow, pesky days of dial up and still continue to reward me with smooth, extremely fast rendering today on my broadband. Has the best interface once you get to master and tweak it to your liking, you can configure memory load etc. Check it out, you will truly like it.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have four browsers and opera 8.01 is with out doubt my default.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Do you use some Download Manager with Opera?

I can't install Sockwave and Adobe Reader in this version :(

If I install the v8.01 over v.8.0, will overwrite my settings?

Did you know if exists some Panel to use the Yahoo or Google translator?

Thanks

5. arghwashier

arghwashier Registered Member

Probably Maxthon got their ideas from Opera ;)

You don't need one, Opera has a download manager build in I guess...
    They don't exist, Opera has it's own build in (highlight and right click->translate)

No, but make a back up of .../documents and settings/user..../application data/opera just to be sure

No problems here opera 8.01 winxp....

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

7. bigc73542

opera takes a little getting used to but after a while you start wondering how you got along without it in the first place. ;)

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It really seems a nice browser :)

Of course that the begin isn't easy and I'm trying to find things that I have in Maxthon.

The great advantage of Opera is that support all the standards and is very fast...

I will go to continue to use it, and after I will put here some suggestion that I want in Opera, and maybe you can know if some already exists... ;)

9. bigc73542

After you try it for a while let me know how you like it. ;)

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

OK :p

11. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Opera is my favorite alternative to IE also; I'm posting this from Opera 8.0 and that is the browser I use the most in my activity at Wilders. Good Choice; Good Luck .. ;)

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This version have a memory link... :(

Without a reason opera.exe is using 190MB!!!

13. arghwashier

Unfortunately alot of websites don't :(

NO IT DOESN'T, it's supposed to behave like that, it's your entire history in memory, it's one of the reasons why Opera is so fast. If you you don't like it you can change the setting tools->preferences (or shift+F12)->advanced (a tab...)->history->Memory Cachy->set this to the required level, default and best is "Automatic"

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

That is the big problem of Opera :(
    OK, I will see this a bit more...
    In this page http://nontroppo.org/wiki/OperaPerformance we can learn how to config this...

15. arghwashier

It's just a very small percentage nowadays, less than 10% or so, and the ones that don't work are not worth changing browsers for...

that's a great resource for Opera but I don't know if it's updated to v8.0 yet though....

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that this version have some bugs because it using much more memory and CPU.
    After I install it, the v8.0 seems much more light...

I will reinstall the v8.0 to see what happen...

Could be just my impression.

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

18. arghwashier

Don't look at your taskmanager look at how your system feels.....

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

After a week of testing Opera, I like it a lot! :)

Very fast, secure and customizable...

This version have a lot of problems with GMail and this cause a very bad RAM issues...

I post my suggestions in the Opera forum, here: Some Sugestions...

Regards :D

20. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I've been using Opera since version 5 and liked it very much.
    Started with the free version for 6 months and
    after that testrun decided to buy it.
    You can shape it to your wishes. :cool:

I really like the way I can drop a link into my bookmarks.
    Version 8 has been really stable here and it's really fast. :)

As for Gmail I always use Firefox.
    I once tried it in Opera, but got an error. :doubt:
    When Gmail started, only IE and FF were supported.
    Downloaded also the dictionaries from Aspell.

At the moment Opera is using 8.55 MB RAM and 61.92 MB VM.

I've been using this new version more and more each day, instead of FF.
    Very secure and I also wouldn't want to change my current browsers. ;)

21. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Finally downloaded it - irritating that many of the keyboard shortcuts were changed, but one of O's great features is a customizable .ini file for menus, keystrokes, etc...

Another irritation: Zoom %age display hides some of the numbers. J. Segur's fix is to customize the size of the Zoom icon with a different Skin - haven't figured out how to do that yet... I'll post to the O NG for suggestions.

They fixed the a -q key functions (tabbing through links) which hung on through all versions of 7.xx

Biggest gain for me was fixing the bug of slow loading of the global.dat file - I run it max - about 1.8 MB now - for quick reference to visited sites that aren't bookmarked.

Versions 7.xx took almost 10 seconds to load - now O loads in under 2 seconds :)

Also, quicker menu access to the server manager (cookies, Wand)

-rich

22. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I originally steered clear of Opera 7.x due to its slower performance compared with Opera 6. Opera 8 seems far better in this regard (and even a little faster than 6 in terms of getting data onscreen, though the redraws when loading is complete can be disconcerting).

The downside is the number of crashes I'm getting - and always when making a long post too. :( I've downloaded the 8.01 preview which is supposed to fix many so I'll give that a try later on.

Another problem is privacy issues - one of the search options goes through a third-party aggregator (the Ebay search goes via qksrv.net) and many of the other search options include an Opera tag. To this end I have produced a "cleaned" search.ini file which is also customised for UK users (Yankees go home! :D). Ebay searches therefore go via Ebay.co.uk and a new PriceGuide search has been added - typing p <item> will do a search on the PriceGuide website which I have found to be one of the most useful ones for pennypinchers like myself. :)

I've had to add a .txt extension to upload the file (which should also give WormGuard users a nice false alarm... :D) so remove this extension before using the file.

To use this file, first backup your original search.ini (in the Opera Program Files folder) then copy this one into that folder and into any user profile folders (if Opera is set up for a single user, there will be a Profile folder containing the copy of search.ini that will actually be used). Restarting Opera should make the new searches available.

Attached Files:

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Paranoid2000, you can change the search.ini with this utility: Opsed ;)

I said that I would only test Firefox on v2.0, but I will test it now...

Opera is very good, but have some bugs in pages, memory, and doesn't integrate so well with some programs...
    I will try it in another stable version...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.