Testing Malware w/ My PG :)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Toby75, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I just want to let everyone know....

I'm on my 9th beer and testing PG. It's performing beautifully (yes I spell checked this word)

I found a site that listes hundreds of driveby downloads and I must say PG blocked every single piece of malware I have come across. I set my rules according to:
    http://www.commontology.de/andreas/win_secure_pg3.html#protection

I know this is an old piece of software (fcukdat...no disrespect) and I have been told by a few mods to move on and consider newer supported versions....but I can't!...I've succumbed to this power called processguard.

2. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

My threads are exhilarating aren't they

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Toby, I hate to shatter your joy, but PG suffers the same weakness that all the HIPS suffer. YOU. Sure it did great, because you were testing and alert. But what happens when you are tired, and in a hurry, oops clicked allow, and thats it.

At least with the newer HIPS, like SSM, if you run it against some of the disk trashing stuff, you get a second chance when they do there disk distruction. Not so with PG.

Finally the real test of your setup, and this how I test my total setup, is to run a nasty, and click all the allows, and my system is still protected. Then I feel safe.

Pete

4. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

The only problem is that I don't allow anything Peter. I have processguard set to autodeny. Before I install anything I have it checked with virustotal and jotti. I have downloaded so much malware that I can tell what it is by looking at the k/b.

With better HIPS the average user will click allow and get a 2nd chance...but they would click allow a second time also right?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.