Testing Firewalls (personal)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Stem, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have had a number of PM`s concerning how I test firewalls.
    How I do this varies on the tests I am making, but basics:-

I use 3 PC`s (A to C): PC A-> PC B-> PC C, I install the firewall to test on PC B (piggy in the middle), I then make connections/ attacks from PC A against PC C The filtering from the installed firewall on PC B is then, with this setup checked, as packets allowed through the firewall to PC C can be easily checked.

I have also been asked if I take "free keys" for software due to my testing, or the fact I am a mod here. The simple answer is no, I do not. I use keys given for the beta test, after a full release, these keys are then deleted.

If members here are curious to what firewall I have installed, or what firewall I am currently testing, then I can/will add a sig to show this.

2. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Full quote of post just above removed

Thx for the great job U are doing :thumb: Its always exciting to hear your testing results since your knowledge are very usefull for people like me who's kinda newbie in that area :D :)

I think it would be great if you add a sig so we can follow your choises -and testing :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thank you, I am here to try and help where I can.
    I do try and give info so that all can understand. At most times I am limited to the info I can post due to install (of the software/firewall) agreement

I have never been one for adding a sig, but will certainly do this (for this info) if requsted by more,

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

In that case, +1. Your firewall, and a list with FW's that you think are at least competent (excluding FW's with major flaws, issues, etc.)

Cheers Stem

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello :)

I don't think it's such a good idea of putting that info in your sig Stem. That will cause more inquiries, more PMs and more work for you due to your reputation. Besides that, it will affect users' choice of firewalls also ("if Stem is using it, it must be the best"). I saw in a thread you proposed to make a sticky for Jetico1, and I personally think it's a better idea. To give an independent and objective reviews occasionally (like you did for OA2 recently), and leave the user a bit more educated but unaffected. I am saying this because I noticed that people tend to be too lazy and rely too much on downloading preconfigured rulesets and trusting various ratings and recommendations instead of using their brains to actually learn something. More than excellent work you do already but then again, you may have other ideas and preferences...

Cheers :thumb:

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I agree with this statement. :thumb:

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If this is a concern, than maybe only place "a list with FW's that you think are at least competent".
    This should only reduce PM's, not generate more.

As to people learning, the same that want to learn, will keep learning, the others will continue on not learning. Unless we're talking about children.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Stem

Yes, Thankyou for all the time you have spent here with the various apps and testing: heh, hundreds of hours at least for installing, config, testing, posting, responding to those of us from the exclusive doofus club. (harder to become a member of that club than you might think: must demonstrate staggering dimness LOL)

Much appreciated. :)

Some more details on how you test was great.

I would agree there is no need for you to "reveal" what tools you are using: just not neccessary and may lead to all sorts of conflicts.

Your opinion based on testing and any editorial presented in your usual nonconfontational educational style is appreciated and a good way to get any message across.

Unless of course you find the perfect FW. LOL.

Thanks again.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Thanks for all teh testing and guidance youve provided in regards to firewalls :thumb:

it would be informative to know which firewalls you have tested thus far and perhaps link to threads where youve posted your results

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Stem

I would also like to add my thanks for your effort. It is valuable, and helps increase our knowledge and awareness.

Pete

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi.

Agreed, but you have to push the non-learning ones to make that extra effort and enlighten themselves. Detection (layer1) and removal (layer2) are already a step behind the malware, and general estimations are that security software will continue to lag more. So, brains before power...

:)

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

:)
    I agree with you on Stem's personal choice. I'm able to change my mind, and listen. (look at me, so many tricks...)
    But a list with competent FW's should be big enough to warrant research, and having links to the reviews will force them to read (yeah, lets make them read!), like WSFuser suggests.
    This list should prevent some trials with lousy FW's. But a FW not listed would just mean it's not listed period.

Stem, you could even state that you don't endorse anything, nor that you have anything against other FW's. Just saying that you tested them and they are good at what they do.

I'll stop now:D Leave to others express their thoughts.

13. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I also want to add my heartfelt thanks for the work you do on behalf of others, Stem. It is much appreciated and it certainly helps those of us trying to learn and to make wise choices. Since installing NOD32 almost a year ago and then being directed to Wilders Security Forums, I have come to the conclusion that this is one of the most important forums to belong to on the entire 'net.

I also find that the best dedicated forum to Firewalls is right here. I'm not kidding. I have sent many people this way because of the quality of information and that people get help without being stepped on or put down, unlike a number of other computer tech forums I peruse.

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I will continue without a "sig"(which looks like the preference of the members).

15. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Thanks Stem for your valuable test, reviews and help in configuring firewalls.

^Ale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.