Testing firewall/antivirus /spyware

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by kennethtb, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennethtb

kennethtb Registered Member

Hi, Can anyone suggest a test program to confirm that my firewall is actually working and that my settings are OK :blink: Also the same for antivirus/spyware. My computer is seemingly in a good state - always with a statement that No infections were found, but dispite this I still feel somewhat insecure that eset smart security is actually doing what its supposed to be doing :doubt: as previous anti total software that was installed on my computer often highlighted varios low priority infections for removal, whereas eset always shows that nothing exists? Perhaps I should be happy :D but I still would like to double check this situation with some eset or approved 3rd party testing components.

2. Rapid Dr3am

Rapid Dr3am Registered Member

The TOS disallow links but there is eicar which is the standard signature based test. As for the firewall, do you want leaktest or pentest?

3. kennethtb

Hi Thanks for your reply - not sure what you mean about a pentest? but I have heard about a leaktest so I guess that what im aiming for. by the way does anyone know how eset tests its own security??

4. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Gibson Research has a program called "Leaktest" which
    will test outgoing programs from your computer.
    He also has another program called "Shields up" which
    test the ports on your computer.
    I think the web address is: xxx.grc.com (xxx = www)
    These programs are free.
    Go on the site as there is a wealth of info there.
    enjoy

5. kennethtb

Hi Shankle, Thanks for your link to a very interesting site and by the way the eset firewall blocked the test intrusion correctly and allowed the connection also correctly. I also ran the shield up tests which all passed ok - so for me Eset security gives me peace of mind. regards

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. mr_yoda

mr_yoda Registered Member

I downloaded the trial version of Smart Security last night and thought I might as well test it.

The anti-virus blocked the file from eicar.com.

It passed the Shields Up test.

But it failed on the leak test.

How can I configure the firewall so that it passes the leak test.

PS. I not particularly experienced with computers so alot of the terms in the configuration for the firewall mean nothing to me therefore i've left them at the default settings.

7. mayt

mayt Eset Staff Account

Hello mr_yoda,

you probably use automatic firewall mode which allows all outbound communication by default and thus doesn't prevent leak test from connecting "home".

You have to use interactive or policy-based firewall mode in case you want to have more control over the incoming/outgoing communication.

Cheers.

8. mr_yoda

Thanks.

If I change it to one of the two mentioned will that thow up alerts everytime I try to open a program?

9. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Hi Mr_Yoda,
    By turning on Interactive mode it will throw up
    windows asking your decision to deny or accept
    the action. Most of the time it will be permissable
    to accept the request. If you do not know who the
    requester is deny the request.
    Ex: Windows Media Player is constantly poping up on mine and I could care less what Media Player wants to do so I deny it.
    I am willing to put up with this as I want to know
    who is and why they want to play games with my Puter.

10. mr_yoda

Thanks Shankle,

I've switched it to Interactive Mode and it passed the test (an alert popped up). It usually does my head with all the pop up's (had Zone Alarm previously and it was quite annoying), but I have to say i'm really impressesed so far with Smart Security.

PS. Might be on here quite a bit asking questions, hope it doesn't annoy too many people.

11. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Remember to check "Remember this...." or something like this box. ESS has a good memory and will not bother you much. Least pop-up crazy firewall out of six or so I tried over the years. Have used ESS on both my coputers for over a year (initially betas).

Use default settings, with the exception of Checked "stealth" at installation and operate in an interactive mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.