Testing bodies AV‐Comparatives, AV‐TEST and Virus Bulletin comment on allegations of inappropriate

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FleischmannTV, Apr 30, 2015.

1. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That appears to be what Tencent did in the interest of speed, and possibly to reduce FPs.

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

if the testing was done at random times with the vendors having no knowledge of when tests were being carried out,it's unlikely things like this could happen,to upload an installer that behaved a specific way for a short time period does mean that vendors are pre-warned in some way as to when the testing is taking place,bad practice by the testing bodies as it gives any vendor the opportunity to manipulate their products to suit certain criteria that wouldn't be met under normal conditions

3. steve1955

bit of a nimby attitude there don't you think?just because it doesn't affect you it's not important?lots of things don't affect folk directly that are important and need to be addressed,I agree that in the big scheme of things it is pretty minor compared to natural disasters,but if everybody isn't bothered about things that don't directly affect them aid wouldn't get to folk affected by them would it?

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

You misunderstood me, I'm saying that it shouldn't be a big deal to most people, even to the ones that are using these products. I assume users and AV testers are not complete idiots and know how to configure these AV's to get the best results.

This tumult doesn't make companies like Tencent and Qihoo look bad, instead it makes the AV testing companies look like idiots. But I'm going to stop replying, because right now I'm helping to make this topic even bigger.

5. entropism

entropism Registered Member

This is a forum, where posts may or may not apply to you. If its not relevant, you aren't FORCED to participate. Perhaps, with 8 pages of people outraged, you might think it DOES matter to them? Go figure.

These are companies that put forth a modified product to look better on tests that show how effective they are. The whole POINT of this is that they tried to fool the testers and the users. To say that's not a big deal is just ludicrous.

6. steve1955

I don't use and probably will never use any products of these companies but am still concerned about this,but what concerns me,as I have indicated in previous posts,is the fact that the methods used by the testing bodies allowed this to happen,the fact one of those answered a previous post by me basically saying because it was discovered it proves they were doing there jobs well as they discovered these companies cheating just proves to me they weren't,if they were the results from these companies would never have been published for them,bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted,it's really better to make sure the door is closed prior to the horse going awol,I wonder what the other vendors now think of the professionalism of these testing bodies now?

7. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

Well, the Mods deleted my previous two posts because of my grossly misunderstood analogy on this topic for "joking around and leading the thread off topic." Not verbatim perhaps but the song remains the same. I wasn't joking around. Oh sure, I could further analogize the transgression at hand with a knife wound vs. a gunshot to the head; a student that cheats on his geometry test just to get out of high school vs. a student that cheats his way through med school (and we all know what happens to a few of those patients on the surgery table); a small company that cooks their books to avoid an IRS audit vs. the IPO that fraudulently inflates the market value potential leaving their gullible investors homeless after a messy bankruptcy litigation. But why risk being reported again and thrown under the bus as being a clown? My entire point was that the big Q made the mistake of adjusting the settings the same as we allegedly savvy AV/anti-AM users could have done. They didn't surreptitiously throw in a third/fourth AV engine into the works, they didn't switch theirs nor Bitdefender's AV with a covert mastermind alpha project, and they didn't secretly ameliorate the app's code in any way, shape, or form. Think of it as the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony commission. So, I hope this time around this passes muster with the Mods' policies and procedures, with all due respect. No wish to color the conversation unfashionably. And in spite of all the sturm und drang here, this really is "Much Ado.." Two months from now, this too will shuffle off its mortal coil.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  8. hawki

hawki Registered Member

What do you mean by that?

Ludicrous: amusing or laughable through obvious absurdity, incongruity, exaggeration, or eccentricity

New Substitute Silver Level Prize for Best Ludicrous Awarded To:

~ Removed Off Topic Image ~

99.76 % PUP Blocking Score in Ludicrous Luddite's Laughably Comaparative April PUP Blocking Test.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

See post #204.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.