Testing Avatar Upload

Discussion in 'Test Forum' started by MrElectrifyer, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrElectrifyer

MrElectrifyer Registered Member

Hi,

As requested by LowWaterMark, I've uploaded my avatar here:

MrElectrifyer (200 Square).png

I was not able to upload it here through Chrome, I had to use Internet Explorer (via I.E. Tab Multi extension for Chrome). So, that's another fundamental bug that needs fixing.

On my computer, it shows up as 23.4KB .png file (I used PhotoShop to compress it), however, when uploading it at the avatar page, it says it's larger than the 40KB limit. What gives?

2. NewGuy

NewGuy Registered Member

Testing upload with Chrome...

MrElectrifyer (200 Square).png

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm not sure why you are having a problem with Chrome for uploading that file. A couple weeks back, I switched to using Chrome as my primary browser for the forum (because of how fast it is), and I can upload your image without an issue. The above post was made by a test account running at the same level as your account, and using Chrome.

I do know that browser settings and security software can interfere with how the forum software works for people. I suspect that issue is there.

As for the upload size issue. I checked the image you posted above and figured out the problem. XenForo does not save avatar uploads in their original format. It converts them to a fix 96x96 size and requires certain attributes. One is that it changes all images into a high quality and color depth. Your source image appears to have only 256 colors. XenForo won't save avatars that way. It brings them up to high depth to allow the best viewing experience for people browsing the forum. When it is converted back to high color levels, the file size reaches nearly 64KB.

However, an external conversion of your image yields this high color variant which can be uploaded just fine as an avatar, and it even looks good, quality-wise. The avatar on the NewGuy account was an upload of this attached image:

MrElectrifyer-high-colors-96.png

4. MrElectrifyer

MrElectrifyer Registered Member

I use Windows Defender + Windows Firewall (controlled by Windows Firewall Control) + Malwarebytes AM for my security needs. Considering neither of those alerted me of any block, I'm thinking the 'cause of the Chrome uploading problem is an extension...I was able to upload the 96x96 avatar via chrome, however, it didn't seem like it did it at first. That is:

1. When I uploaded the image, the "File Selected" label box show my file name for a moment then it went blank
    2. Clicking the "OK" button didn't appear to have had any effect (it didn't even depress), so, I clicked the close button (my avatar wasn't showing yet)
    3. Refreshed the page, then my avatar "magically" showed up.​

With my AdBlock and Flashcontrol extensions disabled, I still can't upload images to forum threads. What happens is it does similar to step 1. above, but I can't post it 'cause I don't see the attachment thumbnail...the avatar section automatically selects it, that's why it showed up.

-EDIT-

It appears the forum thread also attaches images automatically, attempted to upload that image twice but no UI indicted it was successful.

Attached Files:

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I doubt I'll be able to add much in the way of explanation as to why you are seeing things like this. I don't use any add-ons, extensions or security software. I use the browsers pretty much as they come, not even doing any "tweaks" for privacy or security. All I can suggest is watch out for anything that is blocking...

The uploader requires Javascript, of course. Blocking of any parts of the scripting could cause things like you are experiencing. Also, the window for uploading might look like a popup or Ad window to some functions. The upload process itself starts the moment a file is selected. You don't even need to hit an upload or OK button to start it. So, anything blocking that automation might be the culprit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.