Testing Anti-virus protectors out...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by disinter1, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I was going to stick with Antivir, and I really like it, but I just wanted to try out whatever I heard was good, and not so good. Well, let me start by saying if I find a AV that acts good with my computer, that is a big plus, but I also look at av comparitives and that also helps me out. So far this is what I got...

*Antivir is good, but has a lot of False positives, which I don't mind, it's just I tried to send them what I have in quarantine to see if it is a virus or not, but I guess I don't know how to do that yet, I can't seem to do it right.

*Nod32 I felt really safe with, but I hated the fact that I have to mess around with it alot to make it "user friendly." But, I did try the blacksphere but got lost with it, I just don't have that much computer know how. And it made my computer act weird too, so I don't know.

*Virus chaser is really good, but I saw it has low detection rates from avcomparitives but maybe I'm wrong. It worked really smooth on my computer, but I feel it may not catch viruses quick enough like Nod32 or Antivir.

*KAV is work in progress, do to the fact I did install with proactive defense and when installed my computer got slow and pop-ups from KAV came up alot(I unistalled quickly). So maybe I'll try it again without proactive defense.

*Drweb is good after finding out how to remove those extra logos on the taskbar. But again, I don't feel as protected with it as some of the rest. But so far this is really good on my computer.

Any thoughts on what I described would be helpful, and I do plan to trial out more soon.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm curious now. Would Cyberhawk get them?
    And Prevx1, even if not detected, heuristics would? or how fast would it update (auto-update that is)?

edit- i think i was replying something else. don't know how it got here

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For AntiVir I haven't experienced any f/p's.
    To send a f/p from Quarantine, highlight and right-click it.

4. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Well, the FP's I got from Antivir were from pop ups from a video game site, and I'm kinda certain the pop ups are not viruses. But that's it, and I do right click in Quarantine, but when I send it, a pop up comes out and tells me it didn't go through.:'(

5. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Before the Quatantine "send file" will work, you must enter your Email information on your Configuration [expert] menu. You will get an automated Email reply that it was recieved.

For a personal response about what is found in the file sent, use www.avira.com/en/support/submit_suspicious_files

In eleven months of AntiVir, have seen three False Positives with all Hueristics on and set to High Detection.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yeah but you wouldnt know really would you?

it doesnt say "false positive detected" :D

7. the Tester

Does AVG or any av program tell you that?

8. IBK

IBK AV Expert

This time I didn't saw for Antivir more false positives than the rest of most AVs have.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s nice to hear!

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i guess a few people are waiting for the next results :cautious:

personally, i doubt id even use avira if i got a free licence off them, no matter the results

11. the Tester

I guess that means that the Avira logo won't be part of your weekly avatar rotation?:D

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

weekly avatar? ...

what a pathetic comment... whats next, "your mama is....." :eek:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no point in fighting here.
    lodore

14. 75160515

75160515 Registered Member

Virus Chaser= 0.5 Dr.web , fake spider

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Antivir has worked hard to reduce FPs and really enhance their AV. The suite is new, and basic I have to even admit, but it isnt finished by no means. Keeping things light is the key. I really think as times goes by, people will be rather pleased with how it grows.

16. Rostek

Rostek Registered Member

Hello!
    I think, that one very important criterion should be added to comparisons.

I use AVG free, but few days ago I got curious, how works the best (accordind to av-comparatives and one of the best according to number of VB100% awards on Virus Bulletin) antivirus.
    For example, few days ago I did several measurements with NOD 32(with web shield), AVG free and with no antivirus real-time guard. Firewall and Antihook (which I used these days) were disabled. I used numion.com, 5 minutes tests with my home country pages.

There was hardly no difference between surfing without any antivirus and AVG.
    NOD32 slowed down by... ~40% !!!!!!!!!!
    (with noticable slowdowns even with web guard disabled)

What's the point with all the www shields, heuristics, scanning with read and write, scanning inside archives...?
    Situation: I go to web page and download an executable archive. It is scanned with program web protection, then web protection extracts it somewhere and check what's inside the archive, then it is scanned with resident guard which scans it, unpacks it and checks what's inside. Then, I manualy extract this archive - extracted files are scanned when they are being wrote on hdd. Then - when (ex.) I run extracted program - it's scanned one more time. Why scanning few times with same engine and deffinitions is better than one scan? Or maybe I'm wrong?

17. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi disinter1,
    I was a kaspersky user until a friend introduced me to Dr.Web,no more pop-ups no more slow downs,Dr.Web just does it's job very well.It's light, excellent detection,just set and forget.Version 5 is due for release soon so it will be even better.
    Badcompany.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, NOD does not give a slow down of 40 % in my iopinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.