testers needed

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by stormbyte, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I got no alert on a) and a blank page on b) using IE 6.0

F-prot here also found the file on a manual scan. Not sure how totally valid this is. I have had F-Prot real time alert me on some cookies from some questionable sites, so I know it picks up real nasties.

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

No real-time alert by NAV and then ran a full sytem scan coming up clean.
    Would SP2 be offering any extra protection?
    Buck.

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I got a blank page, Norton didn't tell me anything in real time. Did a scan and found a file which was then deleted called Promt[1].html. Don't know if thats it.

Jimbob

4. steverope

steverope Registered Member

It's kind of odd!!! My extendia avk pro detectes it always with all configurations, except when you turn "heuristics" off, should I be worried about the trial with "heuristics off", or is this test OK?

5. steverope

steverope Registered Member

sorry wrong info.......My extendia avk detected something in all configurations except when "check while writing" was off......not while "heuristics" was off like I stated previously. Any advice on if this is bad performance on the part of my AV? Thanks, and also will this test hurt my computer? I know I should know this, but bear with me I'm totally new to this.

6. dog

dog Guest

Hi Steve, ;)

Not to worry ... It's only the Eicar Test file. Some AVs won't report at all, because it isn't a threat ... it's just a test file to simulate, there is nothing wrong with your AVs performance, it just either ignored, are isn't a part of their detection database. Their is a similar test file for Anti-trojans written by Magnus (Trojan Hunter) for the same purpose. I don't have the url handy, but it simulates a trojan to test your Anti-Trojan, the same as above applies regarding detection/performance.

HTH,

Steve

Edit Found the URL for Magnus' Trojan Simulator - http://www.misec.net/trojansimulator/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.